Non-traditional student stuggles

I am a non traditional student. I recently started college full time at age 27. I am married with 2 kids. I just started my sophmore year.

I have 0 HCE hours at this point. Actually I just have 0 hours for anything right now. (I worked as a waitress for the last 8 years).

My schedule is already pretty intense and I am having a hard time figuring out how to acrue HCE hours.

I know I will have a strong GPA and GRE test scores as I am a strong student.

I am going to start volunteering in the emergency department at my local hospital next month and have some shadowing oppertunities lined up.

I also may have the option of working as a PCA at a nursing home PRN. (I am currently not working) Does anyone know if being a PCA will work for patient care experience? Any way I look at it, I will be lucky if I hit 1000 hours of HCE by the time I start applying. I know this is on the very low side of HCE hours, but will it really hurt my chances of acceptance?

I know its early, but I like to plan ahead. Any advice is appreciated.

Volunteering can often turn into networking and you may meet some connections that can help find positions with good HCE.

You're a sophomore. That means 3 years until graduation. So unless you plan on only working 6 hours per week you can definitely build up more than 1000 hours. If not, there is no reason not to work for a year after graduation or spread your last semester into two semesters which will allow you to increase the hours that you work. 

Just because you started late (you are not the only one) does not mean that it is now a race to the finish line. 

Good luck! 

There are lots of things to do between now and when you apply to PA school, not counting raising your kids. To me, the most important would be your kids, then your grades, then enough shadowing to know that you are on the right path. HCE is important, but if necessary you could get it after graduation. Great grades and 1000 hours would probably get you in somewhere.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Honestly, yes.  Only having 1000 hrs could hurt your chances.  Does it eliminate your chance?  No.  But it will definitely keep some doors closed for you.  PA programs really value HCE; if you don't have it, how do you even know you want to be a PA?  How do you know you can handle dealing with whiny, cranky, bloody, poo covered patients?  How do you know you wouldn't rather be an MD?  Or a nurse?  How do you know this is the career you want to do for the rest of your life (or however long)?  These are questions you need to ask yourself because programs will ask them of you.

• Administrator

Remember: you may be a non-traditional COLLEGE student, but PA studies have historically taken older students with plenty of both HCE and life experience; only recently has that ceased to be the norm.  So just think of yourself as an aspiring TRADITIONAL PA student, with a bit of a delayed start, if that helps.

Thank you for your thoughtful replies! My kids have definitely been my priority the last 7 years. They are now both in school, so I decided I would have the time to go back as well.

I at times do feel it is a rush to the finish line at this point. I spent the last 8 years trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life (career wise). Now that I know, I am excited to make it happen.

I am going to work on making time for HCE hours.

I at times do feel it is a rush to the finish line at this point. I spent the last 8 years trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life (career wise). Now that I know, I am excited to make it happen.

I certainly understand the feeling! But don't discount the option of taking a year after graduation to work full-time and accrue HCE if you need to. If you're trying to do too much too frantically, you might end up sacrificing your grades (very bad) or your family life (much worse). If you can get a little in the next few years, then work full-time for a year, you'll probably have a competitive number of hours.

Best of luck.

^^ Like others have said- you aren't late for becoming a PA student.  I will be starting a program at 33.  You could easily take 1 - 2 years after graduation to work full time PCE.  And I honestly don't think it is a great idea to apply to programs during undergrad... interview season is stressful- and the interviews give you sometimes as little as 2 weeks to pick up and fly across the country.... unless you are only applying to local programs- that wouldn't be so bad

There have been a gazillion students like you that have been successful in PA school. My advice would be to set a rational timeline for yourself. With your other commitments it might not be reasonable to blast though college in 4 years and then immediately jump right into PA school. For example, you might be able to spread college out a bit, weave in some HCE and have a better family life. Your kids will also be a little older and more self-sufficient when you are ready for PA school. 

Archived