Due soon please help! Personal Statement

This is a very rough draft. I would just like to know if I am on the right track. Any editing is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

“One of the deep secrets of life is that all that is really worth doing is what we do for others.”– Lewis Carol. I do not have a single, life changing moment that made me realize that I want to be a physician assistant. I do have many experiences that confirm the truth of Carol’s statement. Three of which are significant and led me to pursue a career as a physician assistant: Meeting Traci, the PA I met while observing an ACL reconstruction; Working with Ron, a patient I had as a physical therapy aide; and treating Charlie, the boy I spine boarded for a cervical injury.

An opportunity as an athletic training student to observe an ACL and meniscus reconstruction was my first exposure to a PA. In the OR, the clank of the surgical tools, smell of the sanitary operating room mixed with my breath under the facemask, and banter of the medical team as they worked hooked me immediately. After an incision of the patient’s uninjured left knee to retrieve the patellar tendon graft, Dr. Smith said, “Traci, harvest the graft. Don’t make it too thick. The edges need to be as smooth as possible.” Traci carefully and confidently harvested the ACL graft from the patellar tendon. She worked with great precision as she molded it with a small pair of scissors. Occasionally, Traci consulted with Dr. Smith to make sure the size and shape of the graft were correct. That moment, that was it for me. I loved the independence she was given and the team based relationship between her and Dr. Smith. Before observing this surgery, I did not know much about Traci’s profession as a PA. Although half way through my undergraduate athletic training program, I began to explore the career of a physician assistant. The fact that PAs can specialize in many areas of medicine is appealing. Although I enjoy orthopedics, I am interested in other fields such as general surgery, pediatrics, and women’s health. (Need to expand on why I like this more than AT)

My job as a physical therapy aide to assist patients with their exercises, educate on proper form, and apply modalities. Ron is mentally challenged and has severe loss of musculoskeletal motor control. He slowly scooted into the physical therapy clinic with his walker and two caretakers that Tuesday afternoon. He was wearing a bright red Red’s baseball t-shirt, a worn, blue baseball cap, athletic shorts, and black shoes, one of which had a heel lift. The endearing smile on his face and childish banter with the therapist and me lit up the room.

Ron and I practiced activities I took for granted every day. Sitting in a chair from a standing position, and standing up again from a seated position, walking 10-15 feet with his walker, and standing without the walker. He would say over and over, “I did enough” when he was only half way through his repetitions. I could see the frustration in his big blue eyes; it was hard for Ron to stay focused. I promised Ron that if he did his absolute best and finished his exercises with me, we could watch baseball highlight reels during his rest periods. The sense of accomplishment Ron felt when he finished an exercise overwhelmed me with joy. I was proud of Ron for his diligence and hard work. Ron taught me the importance of listening, patience, compassion and understanding. Sincere connections with patients involve empathy and adjusting to individual patient needs. I will carry the lessons I learned from Ron into my career as a PA, just as I do now in my job as an athletic trainer.

Pushed himself beyond his threshold

During the third week of July this past summer, the entire hockey camp staff was standing on the ice over my shoulder as I held fully padded, little Charlie’s neck in cervical spinal immobilization. “Laney, what do you want to do? Should we call 911? Is he going to be OK?” I had seconds to make a decision that could alter the rest of Charlie’s life. I learned how to deal with spinal injuries in school, but had never done it in practice. I responded, “Yes, call a squad and tell them we have a cervical spine injury. It’s okay Charlie; you’re going to be fine, just lay still. I’m going to tell you a funny story about my dog, Digby.” That was it. I was not positive that Charlie had a cervical spine injury, but I was confident in my evaluation that he needed further care. Charlie laughed as I told him about puppy Digby’s fear of the plastic spoon.

EMS and the other athletic trainer working hockey camp, Becca, showed up minutes later. When treating a possible spinal injury, the person immobilizing the neck takes the lead in the boarding process. This was my job in this situation. It is crucial to be able to lead and work with the medical team at hand to prevent further injury. “OK on 3 we are going to roll Charlie. Please slide the board under his back when we roll him. 1, 2, 3, roll. Great job. Those near Charlie’s legs can apply the securing straps while those of us near his upper body will apply the C-collar and chest straps. Excellent, thank you for your help.” I was extremely nervous during this entire experience, doubting myself every second, but it reassured me that I will succeed as a physician assistant. I overcame my nerves and used the knowledge in which I was confident would provide the best quality care for Charlie. As an athletic trainer, the nature of injury in sports has molded me into a quick thinker. I enjoy working with others to achieve the best possible outcome, which I believe will transition well into my career as a physician assistant.

I’ve had many experiences throughout my various healthcare jobs that led to my decision to become a PA. Traci, Ron, and little Charlie stand out among my experiences. The independence and teamwork Traci displayed in the operating room caught my eye for the PA profession. Ron taught me that having patience and empathy is crucial in gaining patient trust. Overcoming the doubts I had in myself and leading a situation I had never led before, taught me that I have a qualities to be a successful physician assistant. Becoming a physician’s assistant provides the opportunity to put Lewis Carol’s wisdom into practice; connect on a personal level, capitalizing on the relationship to provide truly patient-focused health care.

• 2 months later...

Archived