EM to IM

I have been working in EM for 3 years post grad and will be starting a locum job doing IM in a multi specialty clinic in a few months.  I am worried that I may be stuck in an acute care mindset. It's dawned on me that I haven't titrated BP meds or insulin since school. I also have no clue on how to manage chronic pain issues, for instance, when to order imaging on a chronic back pain, when to refer a patient to ortho for a knee replacement. It seems to me that the mentality in EM is to over test for everything. Someone who comes in with uncomplicated epigastric pain may get a full suite of belly labs and perhaps even a stat ultrasound to rule out GB pathology, whereas in clinic the appropriate course would be a trial of a PPI and to follow up or go to ER if worse. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some reading material that could help me hit the ground running.

CMDT is a good place to start I think. Another good source might be "The Patient History. An Evidence-Based Approach to Differential Diagnosis." covers a lot of when to refer patients. Amazingly I found a copy on pdf at:

https://scm2016.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/the-patient-history-2012.pdf

You should be able to find a reasonable priced CMDT in ebook form on Amazon.

Hope this helps. New grad here so others may have better sources.

Archived