Air Force HPSP 2016 Cycle

Hello everyone,

A little info about me: I've been working as a RN for a few years in the NICU and prior was in the I.T. field working for the government and the military. 

I'll be starting PA school this Fall 2016 (September) and I have submitted my HPSP packet for the Air Force complete and sent this month (August). I've read in the past that the HPSP cycle doesn't start till October, is this still correct? Also, based on  the timeframe from previous post is it safe to say that the results from the board, depending on available slots for the scholarship, should be a month or two until anyone finds out the board's decision?

For any current PA in the military, what do you think is the most sought after specialty and how would you recommend getting in that particular specialty? i.e.., orthopedics, Emergency medicine

An August submission is peculiar. Not saying it isn't right, but I've never seen a package submitted before September. This is usually when the application process opens since it's true the cycle starts in the beginning of the fiscal year, which is October. Hope it didn't get submitted under FY16 because then it's going into the trash. Surely not though. Maybe AF does it differently than USN, but I recall my classmate who applied doing it in September.

It will be about November before anyone hears anything.

Just relinquish to the fact you will be practicing family medicine or some other generalist role. To guarantee getting into a specialty you need to do a residency. Other ways are luck of the draw (I've seen someone go straight into ortho in the navy since there was a need that couldn't be filled by a residency grad) or really kiss the ass of your Detailer. If you really scratch their back and a spot is available, MAYBE you'll get it for your second tour.

An August submission is peculiar. Not saying it isn't right, but I've never seen a package submitted before September. This is usually when the application process opens since it's true the cycle starts in the beginning of the fiscal year, which is October. Hope it didn't get submitted under FY16 because then it's going into the trash. Surely not though. Maybe AF does it differently than USN, but I recall my classmate who applied doing it in September.

It will be about November before anyone hears anything.

Just relinquish to the fact you will be practicing family medicine or some other generalist role. To guarantee getting into a specialty you need to do a residency. Other ways are luck of the draw (I've seen someone go straight into ortho in the navy since there was a need that couldn't be filled by a residency grad) or really kiss the ass of your Detailer. If you really scratch their back and a spot is available, MAYBE you'll get it for your second tour.

Thanks for the reply! Maybe I should have clarified, my packet was completed and submitted to the programmer (or whoever they send it up to) for the upcoming cycle. 

As for the specialty, does the military open up residency slots for those who are interested in a specific specialty or is it only if it is needed in the military at that time? 

Thanks for the reply! Maybe I should have clarified, my packet was completed and submitted to the programmer (or whoever they send it up to) for the upcoming cycle.

As for the specialty, does the military open up residency slots for those who are interested in a specific specialty or is it only if it is needed in the military at that time?

Ah, probably the reviewer who makes sure everything is in order so it doesn't get kicked back later, thus killing your app.

They are fixed billets that you apply and interview for. I have no idea what the AF even offers. In the Navy, there are 2 billets for ortho and 2 billets for EM. I believe we just opened up gensurg as well, but I don't know how many billets they have. Probably 2. So there are 6 residency positions in the navy and 300 PAs. Getting more would require the program to petition for BUMED to fund additional slots. I hear the number of apps are as many as you would think though. Still, you won't get in without at least one tour under your belt.

Archived