Application prep - MLS student

Hi everyone!

I'm a senior now at Uconn, studying Medical Laboratory Science as my undergraduate major. I have my EMT and phlebotomy certs, both of which I will continue to keep current, but only about 100 hours of direct patient care experience. When I graduate I obviously want to get a job with direct patient care to build up my hours for application, I'm just wondering what type of position I should look for. Ideas: phlebotomist, patient care associate at a hospital, hematology lab scientist (including phlebotomy), or working PT in any area of the lab (chem, heme, micro, ect), PT as a PCA or phleb. I tried the EMT gig and my heart is just not in it. Any ideas/tips/suggestions?

First, why is your heart not in the EMT gig? Was it related to co-workers, or something not relating to patient care? 

I have been working as an MLT for two years now, but was a Corpsman back in the Navy. I have heard that some schools do infact take MLS experience as HCE, but as you probably know direct patient contact is what they really value. 

Personally, I would try to find a part time job working in the lab, and try to find a position where you will also be required to draw patients as well. Also try to work as a PCT/MA/CNA or something on the side. Just wouldnt want to see all the MLS training go to waste. You shouldnt have a hard time finding a job as an MLS unless your area is saturated. 

Good luck and let us know what happens. 

Definitely use your MLS - if for no other reason than you will make so much more money than working as a phleb or CNA and you could in theory be applying for several years.  Depending on your schedule (MLS has some great variability) you could pick up a part time CNA or phleb position on the side to get your PCE.  

Plenty of schools count MLS as HCE (and some don't distinguish HCE from PCE) so it's not bad experience.  I had 6 years of MT and about a year of that was phleb hours - so the bulk of my PCE was phleb while all of my HCE was  MLS/MT.  I had no issues getting interviews and no one ever questioned my patient contact. 

There is a chain of urgent care clinics in my area where MTs draw blood and triage patients when needed. You could look into any clinics like that in your area. 
Actual lab testing there is very minimal though.

I currently work at a small hospital and I rotate all the departments (Blood Bank, Heme, Chemistry, UA, and some Micro). Even though there is no actual patient contact, I still feel like it's great HCE because I deal with lab values all day and I understand what most of them indicate. I also volunteer at a free clinic as an interpreter and administrative associate so that at least I have some sort of interaction with patients. This app cycle I applied to programs that at least mention MT/MLT experience in their required HCE and I've already been invited for interviews. 

Since you also have EMT cert, you could probably do two part-time gigs, one as an MT/MLT and the other as ER tech or PCT. 

Good luck!

Archived