Does this seem fair to you?

So personally, I have a different take.  You are their first PA.  Sounds like this is your first job out of PA school.  This seems like a nice chance to make a good impression.  Doesn't matter that your sup is an NP.  She has been there longer, end of story.  

I would do it with a good attitude and cement your status as a team player.  Start getting salty and you will cement your status as something else.....It's called "paying your dues".

This is the second time I am disagreeing with you today lol. There are time when you "pay your dues"; this is not the same IMO.

I would not acquiesce to any "requests". If they force you, and you alone, I personally would be looking for a new position.

So personally, I have a different take.  You are their first PA.  Sounds like this is your first job out of PA school.  This seems like a nice chance to make a good impression.  Doesn't matter that your sup is an NP.  She has been there longer, end of story.  

I would do it with a good attitude and cement your status as a team player.  Start getting salty and you will cement your status as something else.....It's called "paying your dues".

CANNOT DISAGREE MORE

The situation is not PA friendly and he doesn't need to set a precedent as a doormat

His set up needs to be changed no matter - he should have a mentor

How long have you been out of school yourself? You mention the importance of "paying dues" as a function of that, so I think it's relevant.

Your right, it is relevant.

I've been a P.A.-C for a hair over 23 years. That enough?

As for those of you disagreeing with me, don't sweat it. I don't take it personally. I am simply offering an alternative course of action then getting salty. The original poster is right out of school with no work history and if this position goes down in flames it's just something to consider.... could it have been prevented by him being a little more flexible?

Just a thought.

Let's be clear as well.  There are things to get annoyed about and possibly seek other employment over.  No doubt.  I have just read nothing in this thread that would meet that standard for me.  

I think it's actually kind of hilarious some of the things I read that people freak out over.  You're the new guy and you get last choice of the schedule?  That's just employment life.  Get use to it.

The crap we went through trailblazing this field when I got out of school would set your hair on fire!  I once had a ER medical director stand up while introducing me in a meeting to the ER staff and say, "This is our new PA....I never wanted a PA in this ER, but the company says I don't have any choice".  Talk about awkward!  Yet INSTEAD OF GETTING BUTTHURT, I took it as fuel and won that doc and the entire staff over.  When I finally left that ER, I was taken aside by the medical director and told that he was wrong about me and our profession.  I am still friends to this day with some of those docs....20 years later.

I think the original poster was VERY smart to mention the generation "snowflake" optics that he is trying to avoid as a millennial.  Why?  Because it is a very real concern, and one that can follow him for a long time should he decide to go to war over the things mentioned in the original post.  Only he can decide if the concerns he has are worth going to war over.  None of us here can decide that for him.

On a sidenote, these boards are for constructive analysis and sometimes criticism. If someone is posting here expecting a coddling love fest, they are being given a disservice. :-)

Fine line to walk - yes as a new grad and younger you really have minimal experience as being a PA

BUT the issues you raise are beyond just the simple "don't give me to much work". They come down to what is good for a profession and job....

Be professional, speak softly, don't get all mad and wound up.... Just professionally state your case and what you are willing and unwilling to do....

I think this guy's entire job is a bad set up.

Supervised by an NP who sounds to have a captain and commander stance.

A different doc everyday without assignment or mentoring.

No other PAs.

I don't hear Millennial in the tone - I hear genuine concern for getting abused and set up for a bad situation.

I wouldn't want anyone to work under these conditions - regardless of experience.

Setting yourself up as a professional without a doormat sign on your forehead needs to start early and stay strong - not snarky - just strong and protecting oneself professionally and ethically.

I would get another job if they won't listen or agree to changes.

Is anyone else pointing out that a brand-new PA who's been working for a grand total of TWO WEEKS as a PA is already being asked to do administrative tasks??

How many of you were ready to tackle administrative tasks your first YEAR out as a PA, while still trying to figure out how not to kill patients on a daily basis and learn to practice medicine? And this person is being asked within TWO WEEKS????

We have/had a term for that in in the military: SLDO - Sh!tty Little Duties Officer.  Usually the most junior officer/Senior NCO in a unit gets all the Joe jobs.  Kinda wondering if this person that thinks they're actually in charge has decided to exercise their apparent/alleged authority by adding things that aren't agreed to on someone's contract to their duties.  Frankly, if someone felt the need to have me belong to some committee or to be doing research for them, etc, they can add it to my contract and ensure my time is compensated for it...as a for instance, as I'm now a rep for my Union, it's in the collective agreement that if I have to do Union work away from my job, on a day scheduled to work or not, I'm compensated - ie I don't lose payable hours if I'm pulled out of a shift and don't have to take leave OR if I'm called in to work to deal with a grievance.  If words to the effect of "...and other administrative duties as required/requested by the employer" aren't in the contract, I'd be saying "tough tiddly winks".  It's not sounding like a outsider to do that - you're new and don't have time to be doing SLDO stuff in your first 6 months or so of work. 

Mine actually has now and previous to the collective agreement had a clause regarding participating in quality assurance programs and committee work as REQUIRED, not requested...ie every one of the full time ER staff (PA's/MD's) has to do QA chart audits on deaths in the Dept.  We're each assigned a month and the records section hands us the charts - we're expected to do them at work in spare time (like we get much these days).  This is something that's mandated by the Provincial College of Physicians and Surgeons, much like the medical advisory committees, P&T, etc.  Many hospitals expect you to participate in one way or other in QA/QI programs...again, it's usually something that's part of the contract or letter of employment within the job description.  If someone is EXPECTING you to do extra stuff, then it should be reasonable to expect that it's written in to the contract, especially if it's stuff that's above and beyond your usual working day...and then, that stuff should be done during your actual work schedule, i.e. you're blocked some admin time for other clinic/hospital duties.

$0.02 Cdn

SK

Archived