Should I retake a class I got a "C" in???

Hi everyone! I'm going to be a sophomore in college this fall and wanted to know if I should plan to retake a course I got a C in. 

I got a C in Bio 101 & Chem 101 but got a B in Bio 102 & Chem 102. The schools I'm interested in say that they want students to have a minimum of a B in those required classes. I wanted to know if they would consider giving me some leeway if they see that I improved in my other required classes + got good grades in them or if I should still plan to retake those courses I got a C in. Thanks in advance!

E

Answer: Yes. Your C's in those classes are concerning for your ability to complete PA school. Take them again and get an A.

Warning: commonly seen phenomenon is people retake a class and still don't do so well. They get a C, then they get a B. This arguably looks as bad or worse than just taking it once. (You went over the material for two full terms and still couldn't get an A?) You need to retake them and spend a large amount of your lifeblood attaining an A.

Sorry if this is harsh. Harsh reality of PA school admissions. 1000 applicants for 30 spots may be a typical ratio.

You need to retake them if the school you're applying to explicitly says a B is minimum. However, I don't think you would need to retake them if they would accept a higher level class as a replacement. I earned Cs in both Bio 1 and 2, but went on to earn a B in Molecular Cell biology, B in a 5 credit hour Microbio course and an A in Neurobio and Genetics. They mentioned the higher level classes in my interview, but didn't once ask about my Cs in the lower level classes. Just my 2 cents.

You need to retake them if the school you're applying to explicitly says a B is minimum. However, I don't think you would need to retake them if they would accept a higher level class as a replacement. I earned Cs in both Bio 1 and 2, but went on to earn a B in Molecular Cell biology, B in a 5 credit hour Microbio course and an A in Neurobio and Genetics. They mentioned the higher level classes in my interview, but didn't once ask about my Cs in the lower level classes. Just my 2 cents.

Also keep in mind that CASPA doesn't allow grade replacement. If you retake a course and get a C again, you now have two Cs which really hurts both your total and science GPAs. You really need to get As. The advice about competition is dead on. You don't get into PA school because you are qualified. You get in because you are among the most qualified.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Archived