So I have graduation coming up soon, and have recently been offered a job in general surgery. I'm in a state that does not have the best median salary for PA's.

The offer is 80k for first 6 months, then 85k for next 6 months, then 90k after 1 year. After 6 months I can begin to collect a bonus of 1% of my supervising physician's net collections which is paid out quarterly. I should also add that they've agreed to pay me a monthly stipend of $1,000/month until graduation, which would total $5,000. They are offering full benefits, $1500 + 1 week off for CMEs, & 10 vacation days (will go up to 15 days after 1 year). 

It's a very busy job with long hours but I love the physician and love surgery. I learn so much every day. I guess I am just looking for reassurance that this is a respectable offer. I was honestly expecting to start out higher than 80k, but since there is a guaranteed salary raise plus the bonus it seems like a good compromise. 

Any thoughts?

I say if you love it, take it. You might be able to have it added that you want your salary re-evaluated at a later date.

But, as Rev Ronin says, check on overtime, call, and I would want to know about malpractice, etc. Get it in writing.

And, just curious, but why are they going to pay you a stipend for those few months before graduation while you're not even working there? Granted I've not been a PA-C for very long, but I've never heard of anyone doing that aside from a training salary, but that's when you are actually working there and not while you're still in school.....

I say if you love it, take it. You might be able to have it added that you want your salary re-evaluated at a later date.

But, as Rev Ronin says, check on overtime, call, and I would want to know about malpractice, etc. Get it in writing.

And, just curious, but why are they going to pay you a stipend for those few months before graduation while you're not even working there? Granted I've not been a PA-C for very long, but I've never heard of anyone doing that aside from a training salary, but that's when you are actually working there and not while you're still in school.....

Because for 5K he/she will work for them for 80K with "long hours" and 10 days of PTO... ain't that a sweet deal for those docs

Archived