IR Position Offer

I'm have over three years of hospital medicine experience as well as urgent care prn experience. Recently interviewed and was propositioned an offer for $94,000 with $4000 sign on bonus. I'd be working 4-10's, with the occasional Saturday/Sunday (on call), 1/4. I'd be doing a mix of IR consultations, rounding, as well as procedures, including LP, US guided renal and liver biopsies, and paracentesis/thoracentesis, and probably tunneled catheter removals as well.

I have minimal procedural skills, although the clinical skills are well tuned. I still feel as the the offer is kind of low. They are offering medical/dental/vision, $2000 CME, and 3 weeks vacataion.

I will say that this is with a VERY prestigious hospital and I'd be working with the top physicians in their fields. I'd have the opportunity for research, which I'm very interested in.

I'm not going to act as though I'm not a little upset about the salary, particularly due to the amount of procedures I'd be doing, likelihood of long hours, and occasional weekend work.

Wondering if this is fair and the opportunity for salary potential after my first year of experience.

Thanks!

sounds low, but you will have 6 months of learning

ask for a guanranteed bump to 110 after one year

ask for productivity bonus (Ir procedures are reimbursed vbery well) to get them to realize you are valuable

Wear lead, stay out of fluoro....

and INSIST that if you come in on the weekend you are paid nicely - no free call coverage, no coming in for free, no abusing the PA

sounds low, but you will have 6 months of learning

ask for a guanranteed bump to 110 after one year

ask for productivity bonus (Ir procedures are reimbursed vbery well) to get them to realize you are valuable

Wear lead, stay out of fluoro....

and INSIST that if you come in on the weekend you are paid nicely - no free call coverage, no coming in for free, no abusing the PA

I did counter with 100K + bonus... I'll make sure to include guaranteed salary and productivity bonus as well. Would you recommend that for first year or after first year?

After you are trained, it really should be driven by what you generate. They need to keep track of your billings and collections - even if they are not billed under your name.

This become a challenge - IR doc's are in the 300+ range now, and commonly up around 500k

They b*** gripe and complain about paying a PA 150k WHO IS IN THE LAB EVERY DAY GETTING NUKED WITH FLUORO.... Cause they 'think' it takes 50k out of their pocket...... They are typically shrewd business people who are in it for the money and schedule that are though to deal with (not all rad and IR doc's are like this, just the one's that typically assume the business role in the practice....)

I have not worked with a huge number of them so my data set is pretty limited, but I will say I left the field over pay and their lack of desire to pay a reasonable wage....

• 5 months later...

Archived