Own occupation disability insurance

I am looking into an "own occupation" disability policy. My thoughts as to why I may need this is both fields that I am in are very hands on dependent. Losing my dexterity for whatever reason would have the possibility of causing me to no longer be able to work or work in less procedure dependent specialties which may pay less.

Has anyone investigated this? Some of it seems very "scammy." I also touched base with my homeowners insurance company and they only replace your income for 2 years... in my eyes that's a pointless policy.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Out of curiosity, how long have you had it?

Three years now.  It was arranged through my financial planner (I don't have room in my brain for this sort of stuff) so I believe I get some sort of "group" deal.  I pay ~$160/month for a pay out of ~$4500/month if I should be unable to work as a PA.  This is strictly long term disability - I have no short term policy. 

FYI, if you pay premium yourself you're eligible for up to 70% replacement income. If employer pays on your behalf, only 60% reimbursement. Mine is $261/mo for $4540/mo max. split between two policies, one of which was an increase in initial coverage. This would replace 54% of my gross monthly income. When you take out having to pay employment taxes and income tax on earned income, and if YOU make the premium payment with after-tax income, this increases the replacement income to 81% (54%+7.65%+19% actual Fed tax rate) of original gross, only 4% less than when working. This does not include SS payments for disability, if one could convince them that you were actually disabled.

FYI, if you pay premium yourself you're eligible for up to 70% replacement income. If employer pays on your behalf, only 60% reimbursement. Mine is $261/mo for $4540/mo max. split between two policies, one of which was an increase in initial coverage. This would replace 54% of my gross monthly income. When you take out having to pay employment taxes and income tax on earned income, and if YOU make the premium payment with after-tax income, this increases the replacement income to 81% (54%+7.65%+19% actual Fed tax rate) of original gross, only 4% less than when working. This does not include SS payments for disability, if one could convince them that you were actually disabled.

summary

if you pay premiums with after tax money the income is tax free

if you pay premiums with before tax money, it is taxed....

One of my ED docs had a policy like this. She ended up having a retinal detachment (and is legally blind in one eye now) and it has really prevented her from getting back in the ED. She can do other work as a doc, but not EM, so she can claim this and still work doing other stuff. Her advice...expensive but best investment she ever made.

One of my ED docs had a policy like this. She ended up having a retinal detachment (and is legally blind in one eye now)?and it has really prevented her from getting back in the ED. She can do other work as a doc, but not EM, so she can claim this and still work doing other stuff. Her advice...expensive but best investment she ever made.

Good to know- my wife, an ED doc as well, was able to get a policy for disability for practice as an ED doc specifically before she finished residency, so was obtained at a cheaper rate than had she been a full attending.  I agree- it's still expensive

Good to know- my wife, an ED doc as well, was able to get a policy for disability for practice as an ED doc specifically before she finished residency, so was obtained at a cheaper rate than had she been a full attending. I agree- it's still expensive

It's something I've been meaning to invest in. Just keep putting it off. But, really, it doesn't take much to put us out of work

aren't your payments for the plan also tax-deductible? sounds like a pretty specific work-related expense...you could get a bigger tax refund now if you start claiming it as a business expense (which it clearly is!).

I don't itemize since I no longer have a mortgage thus no mortgage interest to deduct.  Property tax deduction and other incidentals go by the wayside as well.  I'm in a position as an employee, not IC.  If a 1099 IC then yes, this as well as health insurance are deductible.

you don't have to be a 1099 to itemize, you can always file an itemized return. 

Archived