PANCE Question for School

Hello,

I am a first year PA student and I have a project I need to present on in regards to the PANCE. I wanted to do an opinion piece. My question is as follows:
Should PANCE be required as a licensing or certification examination by state medical/health occupations boards?

Please let me know your opinion on the matter. If you'd prefer, you can private message me. I'd just like to know if you're a PA-S (what year), PA-C, or MD (or whatever you may be).

Thank you!

I'm a PA-C.  I definitely see a huge benefit to PA's taking the PANCE.  When PA students know they will need to pass a big general medicine exam to determine the fate of their career, they work hard to learn every bit of medicine.  Without the exam looming over head, there is much less pressure to learn as much as they can in the classroom and out in rotations.  This is especially true for people who already know their specialty.  A lot of my colleagues agree that when they were studying for the PANCE, there medical knowledge really came together.  I think that is a pivotal learning time for future practitioners.

Yes.  It helps ensure that each student is learning the same type/depth/amount of material and puts us all on even footing, so to speak, when entering the workforce.  

It eliminates, or at least reduces, the influence a program name has on a student's future.  If you can pass PANCE, you're good.  If you went to the biggest name school around and can't pass PANCE, you won't get by with name recognition.  That's how it should be.

• 1 month later...

Archived