Need advice about applying while dealing with mental health issues

Hello all,

So basically I'm in desperate need of advice. I am interested in applying to PA school next cycle (2017) but I'm looking for advice on how to improve my application in the coming months. I am a recent college graduate but for much of my college years I've been dealing with major depression/anxiety and I'm afraid it has really hurt my chances at being accepted. I handled it well enough to keep my grades up the first couple of years but with increasing demands and financial issues it all became overwhelming and, sadly, my grades dropped badly the last year and a half, especially this last semester before I graduated. I've decided to take this next year and work on my health, but I would like your advice on how to steadily improve my application over the next year. I am planning to start therapy next month (I would sooner but bc of my financial situation I am waiting until classes begin again and using my school's counseling services) and retaking organic chemistry this fall to receive a higher grade (I made a D in undergrad--my only one but I know it looks very bad). I am working on setting up volunteer opportunities at a couple of free medical clinics in town and am also trying to find a job that would count as HCE (this I don't currently have any of). I am providing some of my stats below so please feel free to give me any advice you may have about improving my chances of acceptance, working on my mental health, good schools to consider, how to explain my time off from undergrad, etc. If it is of any help I am interested in working in underserved areas and possibly working in psych. Thank you for your help!

Major: Microbial Biology w/ minor in Psychology; also completed the honors program at my university

cGPA: 3.53     sGPA: around 3.2     Prereq GPA for top school currently interested in: 3.47 (before retaking O Chem)

GRE: V 158   Q 156   AW 5.0   (could probably improve this with more studying if needed)

Worked in biology lab 2+ years (not research but a teaching lab)

Involvement: 3 mentoring/leadership programs, Make-A-Wish Foundation student organization, Alpha Epsilon Delta (national member), volunteer work ~350 hours

Sounds like you have a lot to do this coming year. If it were me (and it isn't), I'd do the therapy, get some HCE, and maybe start taking classes one at a time. Leave your organic for the second semester.

This is doable, but it's a project. Maybe you'll be ready next year to apply and maybe you won't. You are on a voyage to get yourself on an even keel while you improve your grades and get HCE.

The ride is as interesting as getting to the endpoint.

Best wishes.

Sounds like you have a lot to do this coming year. If it were me (and it isn't), I'd do the therapy, get some HCE, and maybe start taking classes one at a time. Leave your organic for the second semester.

This is doable, but it's a project. Maybe you'll be ready next year to apply and maybe you won't. You are on a voyage to get yourself on an even keel while you improve your grades and get HCE.

The ride is as interesting as getting to the endpoint.

Best wishes.

Thank you very much for your advice. I just accepted a job for HCE and should be able to get about 1,200 hours before next application cycle (assuming I submit early in the cycle). Due to the number of credits I have it appears I need around 27 additional science credits to raise my sGPA up to a 3.4 assuming I can make A's in all of them. It would raise my cGPA to right at a 3.6. Is this worth the risk? There is always the possibility I will not make straight A's and it will hurt my GPA. It would take me about 2 years (at a minimum) to complete this because of financial circumstances and by that time I could accumulate more HCE. I have also considered getting a second degree in Psychology because I have a high interest in the area; however, I am aware this would not approve my sGPA but could improve my cGPA. It's so hard deciding what the best route might be but hopefully in time I can figure it out. Again, thank you for your suggestions.

To be honest, I don't think you're in as bad of a position as you probably think you are! I think what you honestly need to do is build up your health care experience more than you think you need to, though. For most programs ~1200 hours is the minimum. Have you considered taking an additional year off to work on this? If it makes you feel better taking more science classes, then do what you feel like you need to do, but many people get in with stats lower than yours (but more direct care hours). Taking 27 additional credits before the 2017 cycle just sounds expensive and hard to complete in such a short time frame to me.

Best of luck!

If I were in your shoes, I would take two, possibly even three years before applying. This will give you a chance to take more classes to raise your GPA but still in a manageable time frame so that you will likely be able to get higher grades. It will also give you more HCE which doubles as an income to help you with those financial troubles. PA school is also very expensive so you want to make sure that once you get in, you won't have trouble staying in due to finances. Working to alleviate some of the financial issues now as well as saving up to alleviate future issues should be a priority of yours in addition to raising GPA and most importantly continuing to work on your own state of health. You still absolutely have a shot but I think you would have a much better shot if you waited a few years.

YGG! Huge kudos for doing all of this while you're dealing with those issues. Hopefully your perseverance wont go unnoticed! To me, your stats actually look pretty good! I debated applying this round with low HCE, and finally decided to do it anyways. I just thought "it cant hurt!" (except for possibly my morale). But aside from crying and being upset upon possible rejection, I plan on taking it as fuel to the fire, make me want it more (if thats possible). Honestly, I am really glad I did, regardless of the outcome, because I learned a lot about the application process. I thought I knew a lot about it but I was wrong. If I have to apply again, I already know some things I will do differently, and how to navigate everything and do so in a timely manner. Personally, I think the experience might be worth it.

Archived