IOWA: Dubuque University

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@IAPA16

I really like the faculty for our program. They really make the program great. You can tell how excited they are to have us here, they are incredibly knowledgeable and I feel they really care about us and our success. They are always available to reach with any questions or concerns. They were even the original reason I chose to attend this program over another one too. 

The coursework is good. Pretty much what you would expect for a PA program. I think the first semester is a little lighter (but still not light) than I expected, but that is probably just to not overwhelm us from the get go. Things really pick up next semester. 

Things are still being tweaked by the program directors to make it even better for the next class. So I would imagine some of the things will change and be slightly better for you guys next year. I hope you choose to come here! It is a really great program.

@Axas

Do you think you will feel prepared going into clinical rotations, and more importantly, when you are out on your own? I know you guys are the very first class and this is your first full semester, but I just want to have a better formed opinion when choosing. Overall, I really enjoyed all of the faculty members I met during the interview.

@cdennehey: I am not too worried about being prepared for clinicals. I mean the fact that it is a new program does make me nervous and I don't feel ready now, but I have an entire year of didactic left before I get there. And I do think the school will prepare us well. Although the program is new the curriculum and course goals are not. When designing their program they worked with an existing PA school and more or less copied and adapted their curriculum here. So the course structure and material has worked for other students in the past. 

Also I heard today that the class is nearly finalized for next year! So congrats to everyone who was accepted and there is still a little hope you might hear back in the next week or so if you are waiting!

• 2 weeks later...

cgd91, I have not received anything yet. I'm sure we'll receive an email soon. 

Anyone interested in creating a facebook group for our class so we can get to know each other a little bit or is that weird lol??

Last year Axas took the initiative and created the facebook group for the 2018 class. If you have been accepted to the 2019 class you can add yourself to it here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1350220951695013/

Archived