Hi Everyone!

I had a few questions about required courses, what counts and what doesn't count. I got my bachelors degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders and have several courses that speak to that major. I took statistics and psychology, but its Statistics in Speech and Language Pathology and Educational Psychology. 

I was wondering if those will count when I apply to PA school in the future, or if I need to retake the courses. I want to be a competitive candidate but don't want to retake courses if it is not necessary. 

Thank you all! 

Emma

Every program is different. Some just want any statistics class, while other programs require specific class content. Some programs took my statistics class that was part of my nuclear medicine program at face value, some wanted the syllabus, and some just told me no. I know that this is not the answer that you wanted to hear, but you might have to contact every program or at the very least check each program's website. Usually this is under the FAQ or required courses section. Good luck!

Educational psych might count for a psych requirement, but often they want a general psych or more preferred are developmental or abnormal psych courses.

I would bet money your stats course isn't even close to what they are looking for when programs want statistics courses.  They usually want a course that is taken through the math department.

Like what many people have already said, contact admissions directly. I have had to email many to see if they would accept my substitutions for their requirements and they generally took about 4-7 days to respond-not long at all. What I did was list out the programs that may have requirement discrepancies with my completed courses. I submitted a copy of the syllabus for their convenience. If there was one requirement they did not accept with my offered substitution(s), then I would just cross the program off my list. There is no point in me applying to a program that puts me into a heavy disadvantage of not having all of their required courses completed.

Archived