Need advice for a pain management job

Hi, I am a new graduate looking for my first job. One of my potential job will be pain management. I don't need perform any procedure, but I have to see 20 to 25 pts per shift, 10 hrs per shift, 4 shifts per week (Tuesday to Friday). I need close notes in 70 hrs. I am concerning if that work loading is too heavy for a new graduate b/c I know in primary care our work loading is usually 15 to 20 pts per shift. Does anyone have any idea about that? Many thanks!

They ask me to see new pts and f/u pts after procedure. For the new pts, the tx may be pain pills or make appointment for procedure which will be done by MDs.

No procedure.
Seeing all those patients for what reason?
Pain pills.
What are you going to learn?

I always recommend that new grads get experience in a general field first (family med, internal med, hospitalist, peds, UC, ER....or gen surg if you want to go into surg).

Spend a few years there and learn about general medicine before branching out into specialties.

In your case, you want to get a good feel for the drug seeking patients. Not knowing how to tell can leave you open to a ton of liability in more ways than one.

Hi, I am a new graduate looking for my first job. One of my potential job will be pain management. I don't need perform any procedure, but I have to see 20 to 25 pts per shift, 10 hrs per shift, 4 shifts per week (Tuesday to Friday). I need close notes in 70 hrs. I am concerning if that work loading is too heavy for a new graduate b/c I know in primary care our work loading is usually 15 to 20 pts per shift. Does anyone have any idea about that? Many thanks!

If you like pain management then give it a try. See if they will work you up to that many pts gradually. I worked in pain management for 8 months. It's a really hard population to work with. You have to always be on guard that the pt is a seeker. Which was too much for me. Make sure they have a good process in place to weed those ppl out like drug screens regularly.

It will be monotonous. Which may not be bad I've been in urgent care now almost a year and you never know what you might get. But in a specialty you know. My doc in pain mang was going to try me to do trigger point injections and pain pump refills which is a fun procedure you may ask about that's not difficult.

For a 10 hr shift I don't think that's too many pts in pain management unless you're seeing new pts. Most follow ups are straightforward Med refills or schedule for another injection.

Just be prepared to have thick skin and say no when pts are positive for meth or marijuana and still want their oxy.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a new grad you don't really know anything about opiates or pain management in general, so it's a risky position to put yourself in.  It can be a yucky, yucky specialty. You will also learn virtually nothing about medicine and your skills will dwindle. This job will just turn you into a pill mill.

Tough field as new grad or old hat.

But not at all suited for a new grad. You will burn out fast and your skill set will be narrow and tainted.

Go for Family Practice, general medicine or somewhere your knowledge base will stay broad and stimulated to grow.

I, myself, do enough pain mgmt in Family Practice to HATE IT.

Also high liability, volatility and the number of pts is too high - PERIOD.

But not at all suited for a new grad. You will burn out fast and your skill set will be narrow and tainted.

Go for Family Practice, general medicine or somewhere your knowledge base will stay broad and stimulated to grow.

Yup.

But here's another thing to consider: I had an instructor in PA school that worked in pain management. Made good money, but was seeing 25-30 patients per day. Had a patient overdose on medications that he prescribed and he's been in lawsuit hell since then.

The more pain patients you see, the more likely one of them is going to be irresponsible and try to off themselves on your license. Just something to consider.

I'm in outpatient IM right now. I maybe refill pain meds once a month. I like those odds!

No procedure.

Seeing all those patients for what reason?

Pain pills.

What are you going to learn?

I always recommend that new grads get experience in a general field first (family med, internal med, hospitalist, peds, UC, ER....or gen surg if you want to go into surg).

Spend a few years there and learn about general medicine before branching out into specialties.

In your case, you want to get a good feel for the drug seeking patients. Not knowing how to tell can leave you open to a ton of liability in more ways than one.

As a new grad you don't really know anything opiates or pain management in general, so it's a risky position to put yourself in.  It can be a yucky, yucky specialty. You will also learn virtually nothing about medicine and your skills will dwindle. This job will just turn you into a pill mill.

pretty much sums it up but specifics

Hi, I am a new graduate looking for my first job (should be a general field NOT a sub specialty). One of my potential job will be pain management. I don't need perform any procedure(bummer so all you do is examine, and refer to the doc?  Pain Management is an incredibly narrow field with procedures, with out it is just boring office visits IMHO), but I have to see 20 to 25 pts per shift, (WAY to high for a new grad - something like 10-15 is simple straight forward) 10 hrs per shift, 4 shifts per week (Tuesday to Friday). I need close notes in 70 hrs. I am concerning if that work loading is too heavy for a new graduate(YES and too narrow) b/c I know in primary care our work loading is usually 15 to 20 pts per shift. Does anyone have any idea about that? Many thanks!

Archived