Durham area job market

Just curious if anyone knows about the job market in the Durham area.  Is it abnormally saturated given all the universities in the region?  I moved to this area with my SO and have been applying to jobs mostly. My experience is in primary care and I have no professional connections in the area.  I started applying for jobs in May and I've had one interview so far without a callback. It took 6 weeks to even be called for that interview.  I've only applied to perhaps 10-12 jobs.  I know that is not many applications but I'm only applying to jobs I can really see myself doing for many years which are mainly outpatient, non-primary care.  Does anyone out there have experience with gaining footing in this part of NC?

At the end of every summer (through December) somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-8 schools release 40ish students each into the area as new grads. Next year that will be 8-10 schools depending on how you draw the circle......

All that to say that you may need to widen your area of search to more rural areas surrounding Durham/RTP/raleigh area.  It doesn't take much driving to get into areas where there is a significant shortage of providers.

Great idea to look at NHSC! Thanks so much.

Send me a msg, I'll give you my email. Then email me and I'll give you the contact to the state office that will have you fill out an online form and then they'll send all their openings to you. There's dozens and they're everywhere. Easy peasy

Archived