2016 - 2017 Application Cycle.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone! I'm a 2nd year PA student at UT, and I want to let you know about an opportunity for networking with members of my program. Our student PA organization (SAAAPA) is hosting a 5K/10K run and 1 mile walk on October 1st in Perrysburg, OH. This is a great, informal way to meet current students, faculty members, and our program director. Our race benefits an amazing clinic in downtown Toledo that we get to volunteer at as students! See the attached flyer for more information, and click this link to sign up! http://www.imathlete.com/events/EventOverview.aspx?fEID=38394

SAAAPA Race.pdf

You can also email us with any questions at UTSAAAPA@gmail.com

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all!

I'm new to applying. This is my first cycle.  I wanted to bring forward my stats and would like to hear some feedback as far as where I would stand. 

Graduation Date: April 2014

University: Oakland University (Rochester, MI)

Major: Bachelors of Health Sciences with concentration in Integrative Holistic Medicine

Pre-Req GPA: 3.68

Inorganic Chemistry- 4.0

Organic Chemistry- 4.0

Organic Chemistry Lab- 3.9

Advanced Human Anatomy- 3.7

Advanced Human Physiology- 4.0

Clinical Microbiology- 3.9

Clinical Microbiology Lab- 4.0

Intro Psychology- 3.1

Developmental/ Lifespan Psychology- 3.5

Statistics- 3.0

Medical Terminology- 3.4

Overal CASPA GPA: 3.12

Patient Contact Hours: 3,900 (paid, Certified Nursing Assistant)

Healthcare Experience: Dental Office Manager, Care Management Administration

Shadowing Hours: ~70 (Trauma, Surgical Service, Rapid Response, and Neurology) 

Letters of Reccomendation: 1 from Neurology PA (I work with her on my hospital unit), 1 from a Derm/GI PA (I volunteered at her clinic in Chicago), 1 from my unit manager, and 1 from a professor (professor for my biochem/pathology courses, conducts breast cancer research at OU). 

Extra Curricular:

Pre-PA Society, Vice President (Oakland University)

Keep Detroit Beautiful, Brand Ambassador (Detroit, MI) 

Gamma Phi Beta Sorority, Executive Board Member, Volunteer Coordinator

Gamma Phi Beta, Recruitment/ Chapter Advisor (Beta Chapter- University of Michigan) 

Any recommendations for me? I am currently taking a few courses just to keep up with my studies. I currently work at the hospital, volunteer, and am prepping for a mission trip in December. 

Please feel free to give me any tough love!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I am in a bit of a predicament.. I was interviewed and waitlisted to the program in 2015, and applied last cycle as well and never had any issues with my prerequisite classes. This cycle, I was informed that my developmental psychology course was not accepted because it wasn't through the psychology department.. However, this has never been addressed my past two times applying.

I am having trouble because the school wants to know if I plan to take the prerequisite course in January.. but I only have the time and resources to take another class if I am confident I'll at least get interviewed.

What would you guys do in this situation? Has anyone else been contacted by them with the same issue? I'm wondering if they are weeding out applicants right now, or if they are genuinely interested in me. Unsure at this point what to tell them. I really loved UT when I visited the facility and met the students and faculty, I would hate to miss this opportunity.. but it seems like a leap of faith to take the course not knowing my chances realistically.

Thanks everyone!

I don't really have the best advice.. but I am just asking if they already processed your application as a whole? (asking because I haven't heard back at all).

That's so weird they didn't have issue with it in the past though. I guess you can just be honest and say that it was never an issue in the past. If it is truly an issue in this current cycle, then you can sign up for the course while you wait for an interview. If you plan on applying to more schools, I would probably retake it (I had the same issue with my medical terminology expiring from another school). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Were we supposed to send our transcripts from each school attended to the graduate admission in addition to the CASPA application? I was just reading something on the admissions page and I got a little worried because I only have my transcripts verified through CASPA, I did send my official transcript of the university from which I obtained my bachelor's degree, but I did not send any of the schools I have taken classes from after my post-bachelor, those were only verified through CASPA. 

-Danielle

Yea, I agree. I don't think we have to send in our transcript(s) directly to University of Toledo. The most recent e-mail I received from the program was to confirm that I am still planning to take one of their pre-req. I think they would've mentioned about any missing transcript at that point. 

Good luck everyone!

They had an issue with my micro and lab... they said it didn't meet the requirement because it wasn't under the biology department at my university.

Now I'm running into the issue that if I take it, will I be offered an interview? If not.. then I'll be taking a class that I have already spent money and gotten a 4.0 in for nothing.

This is the only program that does not accept my micro...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told my course met requirements in the fall, and then was offered an interview in the spring.

I was interviewed and waitlisted last year, but I don't think it hinged on my class in the slightest once I was approved. If my class didn't pass requirements I wouldn't have been offered the interview. All you have to do is send an electronic copy of your syllabus it wasn't a huge effort.

An interview in any sense is never a guarantee. So I wouldn't think of this as an if, than.

I was told my course met requirements in the fall, and then was offered an interview in the spring.

I was interviewed and waitlisted last year, but I don't think it hinged on my class in the slightest once I was approved. If my class didn't pass requirements I wouldn't have been offered the interview. All you have to do is send an electronic copy of your syllabus it wasn't a huge effort.

An interview in any sense is never a guarantee. So I wouldn't think of this as an if, than.

Thank you for your response, just wondering if they have requested it from potential interviewe's

Well, of course. If I don't meet their minimum requirements if they don't approve it. Meaning I won't get an interview at all.

I was just mentioning that no other program gave me an issue with the course I submitted. Just in a pickle since I'm not as fortunate to have the financial resources to pay for another lecture and lab.

Archived