Should I submit my application now or later?

Hello everyone, I try my hardest to search this forum before asking questions that seem redundant, but I could not find an answer to my question. I don't know if I should submit my application now or at later. The application deadline for my schools is October 1st, and it is not rolling admissions. My science GPA is a 3.56 and my overall gpa is a 3.63. I am applying to schools that don't require, but rather recommend HCE.  I am currently 21 and have 104 credits, and I will graduate in May of next year. 

My situation is that at the beginning of the summer, I started working 2 full time jobs. My first job is a medical assistant at a private practice, and my other job is a scribe in the ER during the evenings. I am currently applying to schools that do not have a minimum requirement and that require a bachelors by the time of matriculation. I am usually working from 8:00am-12:00am with a lunch break. So far I have accumulated 456 hours. The application for my schools just opened, should I go ahead and submit now or should I submit mid August when I have accumulated 1460 hours? So far, I have 400 hours of shadowing from several different PA specialties and MD, and I have about 200 hours from volunteering at a health clinic for the underserved, a homeless shelter, and a domestic abuse shelter. I have 100 hours of lab work and won a research scholarship for my proposal.

Thanks everyone. 

Mid august is considered late in the game but I think your grades are high enough to where it wouldn't put you behind so much. I think its better to apply later with more hours than sooner with only 450. 

Thank you for your response. Would August really be considered late even if it is not rolling admissions? I have read on here that if it isn't rolling admissions, then it doesnt matter and they wont start looking at applications until after the deadline. I don't know if this is true. Also, if I submitted my application now, maybe it will be on the top of the stack? 

Thank you for your response. Would August really be considered late even if it is not rolling admissions? I have read on here that if it isn't rolling admissions, then it doesnt matter and they wont start looking at applications until after the deadline. I don't know if this is true. Also, if I submitted my application now, maybe it will be on the top of the stack? 

You should probably consult with the admissions contact at the school(s) in question.  

Yes, most schools that do not use rolling admissions are going to screen all applications received by the deadline to ensure they meet the posted requirements.  After that, it depends.  If they have too many to actually review for the available interview slots, then they are going to use some other criteria to reduce the pool - it might be GPAs, or submission date (less likely, IMO), but it might be HCE.  Best advice is going to come from the program.  

• 3 weeks later...

When I was applying last cycle I was told you can always contact the schools and update your information.  So as you accumulate hours you can always update them and show that you're still working.  Also on CASPA I think it had a button that asked if you were currently doing that job, so theyll know you're still working toward your hours. 

Personally, I had about the same GPA as you and hardly any HCE and still got into 2 schools and waitlisted at 2 others on my first year.  I may be the exception, but I'd say go ahead and submit.

Even schools that are not rolling admissions will begin to review applications as they come in (and even start interviewing) because waiting until after October to review 2000 applications is time consuming.  Typically rolling admissions means they start *accepting* on a rolling basis (i.e. as soon as they start interviewing applicants find out quickly if they were accepted/waitlisted/rejected).  I applied to 10 programs my cycle and only 1 was officially rolling admissions but I started interviewing and receiving interview invites for almost all of the schools prior to their September/October/November deadlines.  In fact, only 1 program actually waited until after their deadline to start sending out interview invites.

It is always better to apply earlier.  Always.

True; it is not the best advice.

Even some schools without early admissions invite the "better" applicants early in the interview process. As noted above, you can update the schools on your HCE as you gain it. 

If they want the GRE, you had better have taken it when you apply. You can often apply without completing all of your classes. Contact your school for details. And good luck!

You're already too late in the cycle to apply.  What you need to do is spend the next year accumulating HCE and building professional relationships for a supervisor/provider LOR, then apply on opening day of the 2017 cycle.

Not true.. Just check the applicants stats page and the various school specific forums.  Maybe people get in with applying in July & August.  In a perfect world, we would all apply in April, but we can't.  You are not too late

Archived