UNTHSC 2016-2017 Admissions Cycle

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Just gonna throw this out there-- why did y'all choose to apply here? I'm from Texas (yay in-state tuition!), and it would be closer to home than most, Fort Worth is awesome, and I love the osteopathic emphasis. I think it would be a great opportunity to take classes with med students--could help us understand our colleagues better in the future (this is hear-say, couldn't verify on the website), and great PANCE pass statistics. I plan on attending the information webinar this coming Tuesday, so I'm going to confirm that. Anyways, this school is my top choice. I've always wanted to explore medicine from an osteopathic approach. Why did y'all apply? What aspects of the program appeal to you? My only complaint about the program is how long it is, but as long as I'm prepared for the PANCE and learn how to be an effective PA, I'm happy. What do y'all think?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I think you summed up why I'm applying for this program as well.

I have an oncology and genetics background and so the osteopathic approach would essentially allow myself to become more personable to the patients I would interact with.

Sadly it is a long program but considering it's in Texas, I could care less how long the program takes.

Living in/near Dallas was the biggest attraction for me - I hope to see that the school has a primary care emphasis because that's the field I want to work in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you summed up why I'm applying for this program as well.

I have an oncology and genetics background and so the osteopathic approach would essentially allow myself to become more personable to the patients I would interact with.

Sadly it is a long program but considering it's in Texas, I could care less how long the program takes.

Living in/near Dallas was the biggest attraction for me - I hope to see that the school has a primary care emphasis because that's the field I want to work in

Osteopathic pathway as a method of becoming more connected to patients, that's a really good point. Touching! I appreciate that, I also value physical contact as a means of establishing a good patient-practitioner relationship (on a totally professional level!). I suppose you wouldn't get as much of that if you weren't implementing osteopathic practices. Thanks for sharing.

In my opinion, to say that DOs are more "personable" is really not a fair representation. I work in an ED with DOs and MDs and from my experience the title does not dictate what kind of physician you are. We have many extraordinary MDs that go out of their way for patients, and some less than stellar DOs who don't care that much, and vice versa. So just a little food for thought. I am more holistic so I'm totally down for the osteopath view of medicine. Just know that it has nothing to do with how much you "care" about people. Its just a mentality of how you medically problem solve to treat patients. 

I don't think anybody said or meant that the title of the Doctor dictates how much someone "cares" about their patients.

All I was referring to was the training. I'm sure many MDs care about their patients, but in my opinion, it's the training for osteopathic medicine that provides that sense of personal touch.

I know a few PA-S at UNTHSC and they're fantastic. They know more and do more in their second year than the OS-2s (quote from an OS-2.)

Another way to view the length of the program: there's more time for clinicals and the curriculum won't be as condensed.

Confirming: the webinar confirmed that UNT offers interprofessional classes during your didactic year--taking the classes with medical students, physical therapy students, respiratory therapists. Also, she mentioned that they also do projects outside of the classroom that include many specialties, so you get experience working with multiple professions. She also mentioned that there are various extracurricular clubs that are multi-specialty. Woohoo! At least that is a perk to me.

Already? That was pretty quick... I'm kinda worried I don't have enough going for me to get into PA school this year... Still hoping to get an interview though

I'm right there with you pdbhakta. But if you haven't heard from UNTHSC yet maybe that's a good thing. Good luck!

Archived