Verbal promises NOT stated in Contract...HELP!!

A New Grad derm offer I received in Northern VA: (previous HCE: SA in Derm x 5 years)

Term: 3 years. Training x 6 months. Expectation 20-25 pts a day thereafter

Hours: M-F 9am-5pm, "Occasional Saturdays" 8am-12pm

Base: 80k

Bonus: Shall be compensated at a rate equal to 15% of collections above 150K/year

Mal-practice: Covered w/o tail

Vacation: 1 week vacation for every 6 months employed with practice

Non-compete: 15miles x 2 years

ALL other benefits: ambiguous, contract says things like:

Sick leave: "as per terms and provisions of the employee manual" (which I was told hasn't been updated in 25 years)

Personal time: no explicit mention besides, "personal time may not be accumulated from one year to the next"

Holidays: no explicit mention

CME allowance/educational leave: no explicit mention

Health coverage: "in accordance with the policies of the medical practice"

Holidays: No explicit mention

Professional memberships/licensing/etc: will pay "certain" basic memberships to include state and county medical society dues and hospital medical staff dues, state license, "certain" federal and state narcotic licenses and such other benefits as may be established, adopted, and modified from "time to time" by the medical practice for other PAs.

--

During the actual interview, I spoke with the current PA about most of the above and she pretty much said...everything is covered and she's not had any issues since she's worked there (2.5 years as new grad, no derm experience straight out of PA school). Although I believed her, I am finding it difficult for the practice to secure these things in writing. Also, since the employee manual is so outdated I have nothing else to reference.

Therefore, I am pretty much back on the hunt

A New Grad derm offer I received in Northern VA: (previous HCE: SA in Derm x 5 years)

Term: 3 years. Training x 6 months. Expectation 20-25 pts a day thereafter

Hours: M-F 9am-5pm, "Occasional Saturdays" 8am-12pm

Base: 80k

Bonus: Shall be compensated at a rate equal to 15% of collections above 150K/year

Mal-practice: Covered w/o tail

Vacation: 1 week vacation for every 6 months employed with practice

Non-compete: 15miles x 2 years

ALL other benefits: ambiguous, contract says things like:

Sick leave: "as per terms and provisions of the employee manual" (which I was told hasn't been updated in 25 years)

Personal time: no explicit mention besides, "personal time may not be accumulated from one year to the next"

Holidays: no explicit mention

CME allowance/educational leave: no explicit mention

Health coverage: "in accordance with the policies of the medical practice"

Holidays: No explicit mention

Professional memberships/licensing/etc: will pay "certain" basic memberships to include state and county medical society dues and hospital medical staff dues, state license, "certain" federal and state narcotic licenses and such other benefits as may be established, adopted, and modified from "time to time" by the medical practice for other PAs.

--

During the actual interview, I spoke with the current PA about most of the above and she pretty much said...everything is covered and she's not had any issues since she's worked there (2.5 years as new grad, no derm experience straight out of PA school). Although I believed her, I am finding it difficult for the practice to secure these things in writing. Also, since the employee manual is so outdated I have nothing else to reference.

Therefore, I am pretty much back on the hunt

TERM - no way 3 year - 2 MAX - maybe one

Need to put a CAP on sat - ie no more then one a month

BAse salary - if more then a one year contract, then should have step increases

bonus needs to paid monthly or quarterly - and I would ask for a higher percentage - it 40%

Malpractice with tail - get in writing

vacation - this stinks - should be 4+ PTO per year - plus a one week CME, plus a week or two Sick personal

Non compete - to long, and to far - in my state they are not even legal, but most courts say it can not be harmful to you, and they have to pay some type of consideration for it to be legal....  ask for 5miles and one year

the whole second paragraph needs to define things clearly.....  to many variables....

TERM - no way 3 year - 2 MAX - maybe one

Need to put a CAP on sat - ie no more then one a month

BAse salary - if more then a one year contract, then should have step increases

bonus needs to paid monthly or quarterly - and I would ask for a higher percentage - it 40%

Malpractice with tail - get in writing

vacation - this stinks - should be 4+ PTO per year - plus a one week CME, plus a week or two Sick personal

Non compete - to long, and to far - in my state they are not even legal, but most courts say it can not be harmful to you, and they have to pay some type of consideration for it to be legal.... ask for 5miles and one year

the whole second paragraph needs to define things clearly..... to many variables....

Thank you for your feedback. I respectfully declined the offer

Archived