Arizona: Northern Arizona University, NAU 2016-2017 Application Cycle

Hi guys! I'm about to start this program in August. Wanted to come on here and answer any questions, however I couldn't find the topic so I decided to start one. Please redirect me if I'm wrong.

Good luck to all of you applying this cycle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What was your application stats? What did you feel was your biggest asset and weakest part of your application?

Hi there!!

So my stats were as follows:

cGPA: 3.24

sGPA: 3.78

I took a couple science/prerequisite courses post bac (20 units) with a 4.0 GPA, which I think helped me out.

GRE: 150, 150, and 5

1000 hours participation in a volunteer program with direct patient care. (L&D, DOU, ED, NICU)

2500 hours as an EMT. Experience in both an Urgent care setting as well as out on the field.

75 hours of PA shadowing

30 hours of general non health care related volunteer work.

I feel that one of my weak points was definitely my overall cumulative GPA. I think taking difficult science courses postbacc maintaining a 4.0, and having a decent science gpa helped me out overall.

My biggest asset? This is tough for me to answer, the reason being that I felt as if I blended right into the average of the applicant pool. I don't think my stats had anything that stood out any great amount, so maybe I would assume it to be my personal statement. I spent A LOT of time on it and went through a lot for it too. I can go into more detail with that if you'd like me to.

Hi guys! I'm about to start this program in August. Wanted to come on here and answer any questions, however I couldn't find the topic so I decided to start one. Please redirect me if I'm wrong.

Good luck to all of you applying this cycle!

Are you from Arizona? When were you verified? When did you receive the invitation for interview? Thanks.

I'm hoping to apply here this cycle. How was the interview process for you? Thank you so much for your insight Lola. I appreciate your honesty and helpfulness. I'm sure the program saw that you had a good heart and the interview had a lot to do with it too.

Are you from Arizona? When were you verified? When did you receive the invitation for interview? Thanks.

Hi!

I am from California. Honestly I don't remember my actual verification date but I submitted my application early, first week that CASPA was open. It was my second time around so I was ready. My interview invite came in the beginning of August, and I interviewed first week of October.

Does NAU favor Arizona residents? Do you know the breakdown of in-state vs. out-of-state students? I didn't see that on their website. I'm from California.

Honestly I have no idea. Maybe I'll have a better idea of the breakdown once I meet all of my classmates. I would assume (truly assuming here) that they don't set a specific number for each. However NAU does favor people who want to stay in AZ to work, that I do know. So in my case I was actually in the process of moving to AZ due to getting married and my husband has been out here for the last few years. I plan on staying in the state.

I'm hoping to apply here this cycle. How was the interview process for you? Thank you so much for your insight Lola. I appreciate your honesty and helpfulness. I'm sure the program saw that you had a good heart and the interview had a lot to do with it too.

Aww you're sweet, thank you.

The interview process was actually pleasant. Everyone that takes part in this program is very welcoming. The actual interviewing process was obviously a little stressful just because which interview isn't right? But they don't grill you or act rude to you. (I've heard horror stories) They truly are just trying to get your story and gauge your fit with the program. Good luck!

Lola thank you so much for your help!! What type of classes did you take post-bach?

No problem.

I took A&P, Micro, Biochem, And O-Chem. Many which I just decided to retake in order to replace B's and one C.

No problem.

I took A&P, Micro, Biochem, And O-Chem. Many which I just decided to retake in order to replace B's and one C.

I wish I had enough time to do that.  I had to take Biochem and Genetics and got a B post Bacc in both.  If only I didn't have to work 70 hrs a week.  

Hopefully it won't bite me that I don't have straight As.  I guess we will see.....

Diablo03:

Don't worry I don't have straight A's either.  I think they look at more than just straight A's. 

Lola:

Those are similar to the class I took. I'm nervous because you have to have 3 classes over the 500 level. I have 3 science classes over 500, but I"m not sure it is class they want....

Diablo03:

Don't worry I don't have straight A's either. I think they look at more than just straight A's.

Lola:

Those are similar to the class I took. I'm nervous because you have to have 3 classes over the 500 level. I have 3 science classes over 500, but I"m not sure it is class they want....

I'm sure you will be okay. They don't specify which classes they need to be which means that they aren't looking for them to be something specific. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if NAU is rolling admissions or if it is too late to apply to this program? I know the deadline isn't until 9/1, but still...

Hi there!

They do not really state if they are a rolling admissions school but from experience they kind of are. They admit some students as the interviews go but then some don't get notified until the very end so I'm not sure what to really consider that. As with any other school the earlier the better. If this is a top choice for you though, why not give it a shot!

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't heard anything back from them yet guys.. My CASPA was verified on 7/22 and my supplemental app was submitted on 7/15.. am I too late? I wish I could have applied earlier but I had to take microbiology over the summer to finish my prereq.. and my professor was taking a while to finish the letter of rec, he submitted it on 8/2.. (last letter out of the three)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived