I found my dream job. Please help me find the right salary.

Seeking for salary advice. I found my dream job in OB/GYN in Wisconsin. I have a job interview coming up soon. Its a private clinic and I do not know if there are any surgical assist requirements. I have 5 years of primary care full and part time working experience.

Pros:

Working 32 hours/ week. No calls, No Weekends. Full medical benefits

Cons: 40 mins one way commute to work

I am thinking $75,000-85,000 per year. I don't want to ask for too high because I don't want to scare away the employer.

Also, what topics should I brush on before the interview?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Thank you!

I would wait until they make an offer and then evaluate making a counter-offer. Right now, you have no idea what you are working with. If they expect you to give a yes or no and agree to salary at the interview, they are a little bit crazy and craziness should always be a consideration. 

• 3 weeks later...

OB GYN unfortunately does not pay great. I started out my career in OB GYN making 36$ per hour. Yikes! Several people working there for more than four years didn't make much more.

I'm working in urgent care now making a lot more. And I'm picking up one day a week at an OB GYN office at 50$ per hour. I have two years OB GYN experience. This doc has been practicing for over 20 years he said I'd be his highest paid employee (non doc). But I did take an 8$ hr pay cut from UC to go there (UC money isn't worth the stress)

Hope you worked out a good salary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi All. I wanted to thank you and write a follow up. I got hired and accepted the job! The pay was a little less then what I expected and it was more in line with what JCASh posted. I am okay with the lower compensation because I have a 4 y/o and a one. Y/o I can spend every Friday with.

JCASh, do you have any good reference books in OBGyn you can recommend? I really need a CD version so I can listen during my long commute.

Thank you!

Take into account also it's 32h/week, so 80% of a full time position. Adjusted to FT, the range as stated by the OP is $94-106k.

I do agree with the other advice above though - let them put the first $$ figure out, if it gets to that stage. 

I work in the northern Illinois area, which is either very close to, or not really far from, where the OP is planning on practicing. My FP position, at 32 hours a week, nets me a base salary of 102K, plus a decent bonus potential. I think the 75-85 is pretty low, but I have never worked in OB/GYN (nor would I...).

Archived