Core Content Review of Family Medicine?

Has anyone done this at-home CME program before? Care to share opinions?

I am a Navy PA with a background in primary care, but in the operational battalion setting. Lots of acute care type stuff, very little management of chronic conditions, and zero female patients (of any age) in the last two years - so there has definitely been some knowledge and skill atrophy. I am preparing to rotate to a family medicine clinic in a hospital for a three-year tour, and will likely see active duty members (of both sexes), dependents (spouses and children), retirees, etc. - basically the full spectrum. My ultimate goal is to get admitted to our EM fellowship and go that track, but I'd like to learn what I can from my time in FM, and do the best job that I can do while I'm there.

I happen to be reviewing the Certification & Recertification book at the moment for the SA CME, and while it's helpful, it's a bit haphazard and not as focused as I'd like. Ideally, I'd like a streamlined and systematic review of FM so that I could hit the ground running at my next assignment. The Core Content Review of Family Medicine sounds promising, sort of, and seems to have been around for a while - but I don't understand the exact format of the program, and am having trouble finding any real-life reviews of the product.

Anybody have any experience here? TIA.

I personally have no experience but ironically the doc I'm working with today was just talking about the Core Content Review. She recently used it to study for her boards (which she passed) and loved it. She had nothing but good things to say.

Do you happen to know if she found it useful in terms of actual clinical practice, or just as test prep? Obviously, I have no need to study for ABFM boards, lol. Although the product is marketed to PA's (which is how I became aware of it) so it at least purports to be applicable...

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that.  I work with her in an urgent care setting where we do no FP/chronic disease management so in her current setting she likely used it as more of a tool for test prep.  But that's not to say it wouldn't be clinically applicable in a true FP setting. 

Sorry, that I don't know the answer to that.  I work with her in an urgent care setting where we do no FP/chronic disease management so in her current setting she likely used it as more of a tool for test prep.  But that's not to say it wouldn't be clinically applicable in a true FP setting. 

Thanks for the info...think I'll probably take the plunge, as I just entered my next CME-earning window, and it's a lot cheaper than flying off to a conference. I'll try to remember to update this thread with my impressions, in case anyone else ever wonders about it.

• 2 years later...

Hi HMtoPA,

I know it has been over 2 years but if you are still around, would you mind chiming in about your thoughts on Core Content Review on Family Medicine?

I am going to work at a family medicine clinic and I am preventive medicine trained... so my fund of knowledge in FM is lacking. Did you feel that the book was helpful to work in a family practice setting? Or was the knowledge it provided more relevant for test taking? 

Hopefully you're still around! Thank you in advance!

On 5/20/2016 at 11:39 AM, HMtoPA said:

Thanks for the info...think I'll probably take the plunge, as I just entered my next CME-earning window, and it's a lot cheaper than flying off to a conference. I'll try to remember to update this thread with my impressions, in case anyone else ever wonders about it.

Hi HMtoPA,

I know it has been over 2 years but if you are still around, would you mind chiming in about your thoughts on Core Content Review on Family Medicine?

I am going to work at a family medicine clinic and I am preventive medicine trained... so my fund of knowledge in FM is lacking. Did you feel that the book was helpful to work in a family practice setting? Or was the knowledge it provided more relevant for test taking? 

Hopefully you're still around! Thank you in advance!

I actually write for them! I'm a neurosurgery PA, so I typically stick to neuro-related items presented in a way that is useful for primary care clinicians. They are great to work with and I happen to think, at the very least, that my work is useful!

They send me copies whenever anything I've submitted is published, and for the most part, the medical education component seems pretty good. However, I can't really speak more broadly because I've never used them to study for anything to this point, their being primary-care focused and all.

Would love to hear what your think if you end up getting it!

Archived