Trauma/reconstructive Ortho contract negotiation help needed for new grad

Hello all!

I am graduating in March from PA school in Florida and have recently been given an offer in Texas that I'm not quite sure is appropriate for my experience. A little of my history, prior to going to PA school, I was a certified surgical technologist specializing in orthopedic surgery for about 12 years and have continued working and keeping my surgical skills up while going to school. The job offer: I was offered a position working for a trauma/reconstructive doc in the orthopedic group that owns the hospital I spent roughly 8 years at as a CST. I actually scrubbed for this particular MD often and am aware of his particular practice (he's somewhat of a last resort orthopod who uses Ilizarov technique to aid in fracture/nonunion/deformity healing and reconstruction, along with traditional plates, screws, IM nails) The offer is for 75K, two weeks paid vacation, 7 holidays, no bonus-only annual evaluation with possible raise, CME's were labeled as 'unlimited' as the admin said she's never not paid for them, malpractice is included, 100% health and dental for myself, but I have to pay for my family, PANCE and licensing is reimbursed and moving expenses to be reimbursed after one year. The hours were not definite, but I'm guessing close to 50/wk and I know that I will eventually take call after initial training, though I'm not sure if it's just by phone or if it will be the type that I will be required to come in to help in surgery. He has two full OR block days and one half block day per week. I believe that the offer is too low given my previous experience and my knowledge of his specialized practice. My problem is that this is my first time to negotiate a contract and we were not given much information in school about contract negotiation and anything I'm learning about it has come from this forum or other websites. I just don't want to be 'took', but I also don't want to seem cocky, but at the same time I believe I should be compensated for my experience and for the fact that I won't require extensive training in the OR like some other new grads. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Everything except for salary is pretty average. CME is great for you being it is unlimited or appears that way. Otherwise no deal breakers in the benefits. Now let's talk salary. 75k when you break it down for 50hrs per week for 50 weeks out of the year (2 weeks vacation) =2500hrs total if no call and no extra hours... 75k/2500hrs= $30 per hour! How does that sound now? Don't think I need to say this but extremely low based on the information you have provided. Even for a brand new grad without previous experience I would tell them to look elsewhere or significantly negotiate up the salary or add in bonus/production type income. No offense to nurses but you didn't go through PA school to make less than a nurse. Just my opinion. But I think from your post you already had this feeling.

Archived