Deciding Between Programs - PANCE Rates

I am applying to several programs and they are all accredidation-continued status. Most of their first-time PANCE rates are >= the national avg and they are mostly all June start dates. One in particular though, that is accredited, has first-time PANCE rates that are a bit below the national avg and this school has a start date in January, 5 months ahead of most of the other schools and the program length and cost is the same.

I would get to start applying to PA jobs 5 months earlier and I would come out ahead financially, assuming it takes me the same amount of time to find a job after graduating from any school and make the same amount starting off as a new grad from any school (I think this is a decently justifiable assumption). This school with the slightly lower PANCE rates seems to have less strict admissions standards as their avg cumulative and science GPA is around 3.4 while the other schools are around 3.6. I am wondering if their lower PANCE rates are simply because of a slightly less studious student body or if it is because the program is lacking although they are accredited.  

I would like to attend this school as I would be able to start and finish 5 months earlier but am wanting to hear from others that may know if this information likely means that the program is lacking or if it simply is just because of a lower caliber student body. 

The school I am talking about is South University - Tampa

Be sure to look at attrition rates. Divide the number who sit for PANCE by the number of program seats. If the attrition rate is higher than 15-20% every year, I don't care what their PANCE is.

What is the class size? If two people fail PANCE THE first time, that is a bigger impact on a cohort of 30 students than one of 50.

How far below the national average are we talking? Mid 80's for one year is bothersome. Below 90's for 2/5 years is bothersome.

Below the national average every year with a low attrition rate suggests it's the program's curriculum. But there's more to a program's effectiveness than just first time PANCE.

Yeah their pass rates have been 88% 89% 95% 82% and the avg is usually 95% nationally. NOVA Southeastern University in Florida has great pass rates, usually close to 100%.

I'm not so worried if it's just not as good students. I'm a good academic and have high aptitude in science. But I don't like the idea of being short changed if the learning experience won't be as good at this school. But then again, I might not even know if I'm accepted to the other programs until this program has already begun and it seems a waste if I turned this school down only to be denied by the others and have to wait another entire 12-16 months to start a PA program!

What you get out of the program is up to you. The vast majority of students pass the first time up. Quite frankly, you're concerning yourself over less than 10 percentage points on a certification exam.

Go to an open house, look at their program as a whole: rotations, elective rotations, what you want to do after graduation and how they can help get you there, quality of faculty, program cost, etc. Then decide if it's a place you'd like to go based on more than a test score.

Archived