Urgent care job offer...advice please

So this is an urgent care letter of offer in NoVA. They had me do a working interview, which is good. I liked the doctor, the office, and staff. I am a new grad and would be expected to operate solo after 2-4 weeks of onsite supervision by the doctor.

*Full time = 32-40 hrs/week. They said it will be closer to 32 for the first few weeks or months and then increase as I get more comfortable.

*Salary is $40/hour, will evaluate me after 6 months and possibly increase it. Quarterly performance bonuses.

*Hours of operation are 9am-7pm M-F, Sat and Sun 10-3. I'd be expected to work 2-4 weekend days per month. They said the hours of operation are "subject to change"

*medical malpractice with tail covered

*They said 401k, dental, vision, health insurance is in the works, but nothing is in writing

*No mention of CME

*10 days PTO includes vacation, sick, personal. No roll over.

*"upon your acceptance and signing of this offer letter, you will receive a contract to be executed."...I find this to be scary. I asked about it, and they brushed it off and said that's just how it works here. Hmm...

They gave me the offer in person and wanted me to sign on the spot. I've been on a lot of interviews and don't think this is normal. But I also know they are just eager for someone to start.

I actually really like the doctor, staff, and office. I think it could be great experience, and I need a job. The solo provider thing makes me nervous, but it's also a low patient volume. Please tell me if I'm being naive, but is 15-18 patients per 10 hour shift doable as a new grad with supervision only by phone?

I appreciate and value any advice anyone is willing to give me.

So many red flags.  Not sure where in NoVa, but $40/hr is not a great start, low PTO, potentially no bennies, potential for them to change operating hours + no concrete weekend plan, 2 weeks of training and then solo for a new grad....aside from you liking the doc and office, nothing about this offer would make me consider it.

a new grad with supervision only by phone

This seems like a bad idea...as in bad enough to make the rest of the deal pretty much irrelevant.

I'm not a PA and I don't know you so my input may not be particularly useful. But I think it speaks volumes that you're concerned enough about flying solo to mention it. 

The salary seems low, especially when looking at averages in the area and the fact that it is urgent care. 

Before all that, though...2-4 weeks supervision before being thrown to the wolves as a new grad seems like a bad idea to me. I know I would not have been comfortable in UC on my own a month out of school, but everyone is different.

The salary seems low, especially when looking at averages in the area and the fact that it is urgent care.

Before all that, though...2-4 weeks supervision before being thrown to the wolves as a new grad seems like a bad idea to me. I know I would not have been comfortable in UC on my own a month out of school, but everyone is different.

I told them I was concerned about the solo part and their response was that I'd have to operate solo in any job eventually. They didn't seem to understand the fact that I'd prefer another provider onsite. The doctor also said all the cases here are straightforward. So they made me feel like I was being silly.

Why is it so hard to find good benefits? I've gotten some really terrible offers. It's like some employers don't know what is standard to offer a PA...even as a new grad, I'm pretty sure I'm worth more than this offer wants to give me.

I mean, if this place can figure it out, then that's a step in the right direction but even if it offered average bennies I'd be skeptical of a lot of the rest of it.

I would agree that a solo new grad in an Urgent Care is not a good idea for many months.

Is the UC ACLS level? How far away is EMS, hospital and is this UC owned by a doc or a corporate thing?

I did not work solo in an ER/UC setting for 5 years after graduation - I am old - long time ago, before cell phones.

Benefits are disappearing at an alarming rate. Everyone cites the economy and being "competitive" which means nothing.

A new grad at $40 per hour is - meh, about average for where I live but don't know about other states. East Coast - that would suck.

ALWAYS PTO and always CME. Pretty much $2000 is the minimum - this new CME we are required to do is going to suck us dry.

Health insurance for you and your family is important as well as 401K and consideration of profit sharing from reimbursements.

My main concern is being alone in 4 weeks. Murphy's Law says that the active GI bleed or MI will walk in on week 5, day 1......

I would agree that a solo new grad in an Urgent Care is not a good idea for many months.

Is the UC ACLS level? How far away is EMS, hospital and is this UC owned by a doc or a corporate thing?

It's an urgent care/primary care. I was told all the complaints are simple/straightforward. And if something more serious walks in, just send to the ED. ED is within 2 miles. I don't believe it is ACLS level. It is owned by the office manager, not the doctor.

It's an urgent care/primary care. I was told all the complaints are simple/straightforward. And if something more serious walks in, just send to the ED. ED is within 2 miles. I don't believe it is ACLS level. It is owned by the office manager, not the doctor.

The office manager is hopefully not married to the doctor or in a relationship with and hopefully has qualifications to not only manage a clinic, but own one.

That would make me leery. 

If you own it and manage it - are your loyalties always properly aligned as well as motivations - kind of like Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys - eeewww

You should reference my prior posts......

ANY spouse working in a practice is a HUGE red flag and Robbie The Robot swirling "danger, Will Robinson"

I am being serious. Loyalties are skewed and you will NEVER win anything - right, wrong, blatant, etc. Your are expendable and blamable. 

Just a caution from Been There, Done That.

Take it into consideration.

ANY spouse working in a practice is a HUGE red flag and Robbie The Robot swirling "danger, Will Robinson"

I am being serious. Loyalties are skewed and you will NEVER win anything - right, wrong, blatant, etc. Your are expendable and blamable.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your input.

I told them I was concerned about the solo part and their response was that I'd have to operate solo in any job eventually. They didn't seem to understand the fact that I'd prefer another provider onsite. The doctor also said all the cases here are straightforward. So they made me feel like I was being silly.

How can she predict what kind of patient is going to walk in in an urgent care setting?  Medicine is never straightforward, especially as a new grad.

This. Every office I have seen, heard of, or had a rotation at where there was a marriage of the provider and nurse/manager/owner/etc. was a complete clusterf@&%, and had a really high turnover rate.

Whatever you do, at least keep that in mind. Purely anecdotal, but...every single one.

I've been in UC since I graduated 3 years ago.

No, just NO.  2-4 weeks and then you are solo?   Hell NO.  

Yes, the doctor is available by phone but you will be hesitant to call because you will feel like you are bugging them and the doctor can't go push on a belly, look at a rash, look at an EKG/xray, etc via phone. 

Not a good situation for a new grad IMO. 

I bet to a bunch of new grads, some of us older farts (according to my teens) sound like we are pooping on your job parade.

Same as in any profession - new grads need to be in jobs that are educational, guarded, mentored and SAFE. We really aren't trying to take away jobs or give you grief - I want to protect young PAs from bad jobs, bad bosses, bad experiences and - yep - litigation and harm to patients.

Bosses need to learn HOW to mentor and WHY to mentor and remove said cranium from orifice to understand the value of fostering a new grad into an experienced professional who can further their practice/clinic and be a valued colleague. 

We don't assemble widgets. And a bent widget isn't useful anyway. We need to, as a profession, help this happen and give new grads safe harbor into their careers.

So, please don't think we (I) are trying to be discouraging - more like your big brothers and sisters who are running off bad prospective dates......

For what it's worth -- my very old 2 cents.

I was told all the complaints are simple/straightforward.

that is one of the biggest lies in medicine!

pretty much no complaint is this in an UC setting

Seriously I would run away....

Guest ERCat

I wouldn't take that job based on pay alone. The pay is ridiculous! A girl I know from my class took a solo coverage UC job straight out of school and hasn't left yet. So although I know it's possible, it seems pretty miserable. It is also ridiculous for them to say "complaints are straightforward." Really? I work ER and people who are categorized as "urgent care/fast track type" are often the sickest ones! Search for the fast track disasters thread for an idea of what I am talking about. Things I have seen in my five months of being a PA in fast track - a "sore throat" that ended up being a deep sublingual abscess, a "sinus infection" that was really a subdural bleed, a "nasal packing removal" with complaints of "hard to breathe with the packing in" that ended up full on sepsis, pneumonia, PLUS NSTEMI - and she looked GREAT! You NEED someone on site as a new grad, period.

Archived