Does this count as volunteer experience?

I'm changing career, and I've read people listing their experience as a dance instructor on their application, and that makes sense. I have very little HCE as I've only been able to volunteer at a hospice for little under a year as a full-time student, and don't think I'll go over 500 hours. However, I have helped out my family run the gym for over 7 years (my mom's a gymnastic coach and dance instructor). Can I even list that?

I'm guessing that the fact that I'm not the instructor and just an assistant (helping stretches, righting postures and handstands, bringing ice packs) doesn't help. Not to mention this is a family business, so it doesn't sound professional at all. Should I even mention this on a future application?

Be careful with banking on volunteer hospice as HCE, many programs require paid employment, not volunteer, for healthcare experience/patient care experience.  Also, You could list that volunteer work as an extracurricular; however, that won't count for HCE/PCE hours, if that's what you're getting at.

Archived