Voc. Rehab (Chapter 31) for PA School

I just finished the the VocRehab evaluation. They found me not entitled due to the fact that I have not been applying for jobs. (I was completing prereqs for PA school) They felt that I could find suitable employment using my BS in Healthcare Admin. When I explained that Healthcare Admin was desk work which was ill sited to my particular medical issues,(They agreed but said I could manage if necessary?), it is a saturated low wage field (in this area), my degree is 10years old and I have no experience in civilian healthcare admin (Ships are not even similar..), and I HATE admin work... The counselor advised me to apply to several jobs and if not hired then to call her and they would approve me for VocRehab. She was apologetic that I met every requirement but she was required to say no due to the lack of job seeking.....

Overall a good experience with the VA. The counselor took it upon herself to advise me that I should consider appealing my disability rating because she felt that I should have received a higher rating. She even provided me with a POC locally who will help write the appeal.

Long story short... Make sure you can say you have been applying for jobs. It seems to be a bright line cutoff for entitlement.

On the positive side. I have my GI bill entitlement which will cover everything except a couple grand for books and equipment anyway.

If you are in the process.. Good Luck.. But, make sure you have actively applied for some jobs...

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I currently use Voc-Rehab to pay for PA school.  I also used it to pay for about 6 semesters of undergrad.  Awesome and amazing program that has a ton of benefits over GI. 

Also, this has recently changed, but if you use your Voc Rehab first it will not pull from your GI Bill.  So you could technically use all of your Voc Rehab time and then use GI time for a ton of benefits.

The best part of Voc-Rehab for PA is that it covers all of my tuition costs ($$$$$$$), and they pay for books and equipment (a ton of $$$$$$$). 

To be selected for the program I showed that I was unable to work in the field that I worked in before the military.  I was at undergrad when I applied to the program and already had my plan for when I was graduating and my degree. 

Please let me know any questions and I'll try to respond.  It can be a frustrating process at times (anything with the VA) but it is 100% worth it.

• 1 month later...

I just got accepted into a PA program and filing for Voc Rehab. I just finished some of the paperwork and was told that I will be getting a letter in the mail about more details and appointment. I have a 10% service connection for tinnitus but not for sure how to...as Corpsman89 stated "I would suggest thinking about why becoming a PA would help your disability. That is the key."

How would I relate this service connection with being a PA? I currently work for the VA with no job difficulties so I don't know how any of this is going to go down.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated it.

Thank you

I just got accepted into a PA program and filing for Voc Rehab. I just finished some of the paperwork and was told that I will be getting a letter in the mail about more details and appointment. I have a 10% service connection for tinnitus but not for sure how to...as Corpsman89 stated "I would suggest thinking about why becoming a PA would help your disability. That is the key."

How would I relate this service connection with being a PA? I currently work for the VA with no job difficulties so I don't know how any of this is going to go down.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated it.

Thank you

What did you do in the military?

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, DDoc-Skyline said:

What expenses did the VA pay when those that were already under Chapter 31 applied for PA school? I know they will reimburse application fees. What about seat deposit and travel expenses for interviews at schools?

Voc Rehab will pay for all tuition and fees that are required to attend the program. While travel expenses to interview won't be reimbursed, you can get a seat deposit put down on the program reimbursed if it is required for every student that attends the program to make the deposit (which it is). You will likely have to furnish proof that it is required (in the form of your acceptance paperwork noting that a deposit is required to hold your seat) as well as your receipt of payment for the deposit. Your VRC may have to send it to their supervisor, but it can be reimbursed. Also, for most schools the seat deposit is applied to your first semester's tuition, so technically they are reimbursing you for an early tuition payment you made (you can explain this if they try to not reimburse you for it). 

As for application fees, I think they will reimburse the initial CASPA app fee and the supplemental app fee to the program you got into, but I don't think they will reimburse additional application fees (say for instance, if you decided to just apply to 20 schools). 

• 2 months later...

Now that I've discovered this as a possibility, I'm interested in applying.  A little background though: I have 8 yrs in Army National Guard service and was medically separated 1 Jan 2018 due to UC diagnosis.  I'm still working on getting my VA rating, and am currently employed as an orderly.  I've been accepted into a program out in Colorado, and will be moving from Georgia.  I guess my question would be whether I can go ahead and apply here in Georgia, or wait until I move to Colorado?  My program doesn't start until August, so I have a little time to get every thing in order.

Archived