Voc. Rehab (Chapter 31) for PA School

How are everyone's grades? My gpa has slipped a little and am awaiting an answer from PA school. Do you think it helps to be prior military? I was a navy corpsman

Here you go brother. The director of my program is an author of this ( and a prior corpsman). Unfortunately, some of the data shows that being a vet offers little advantage unless you go to a vet priority school. In my interview experiences though, they liked our experiences more than our non-vet peers.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25933014

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22479900

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I just started PA school last month. 20% disability, still actively drilling with National Guard. Voc Rehab is paying 100% tuition, fees, supplies (including MacBook pro and printer), and $1300/month stipend. Applied online, had a meeting scheduled with an advisor a few weeks later. I went in with my acceptance letter and had VA approval within a week.

what kind of questions did they ask and how did you answer them? I have my appointment Thursday. PS, already paid my deposit

what kind of questions did they ask and how did you answer them? I have my appointment Thursday. PS, already paid my deposit

What the job outlook for PAs is, job availability (vs current position). Seemed like a formality mostly.

I went in with printouts of tuition, fees, jobs in local cities vs current position, acceptance letter, disability rating letter, etc. Everything I could think of that they may ask about.

I got into the voc rehab program without using any of my Post 9/11. I wasn't even aware of this program or I would have used my post 9/11 since I was given $20k Navy College fund. Now since I am Voc rehab they won't uphold the Navy college fund that I was promised when I signed up. Has anyone had this case before? Planning on applying to schools this cycle. 

I got into the voc rehab program without using any of my Post 9/11. I wasn't even aware of this program or I would have used my post 9/11 since I was given $20k Navy College fund. Now since I am Voc rehab they won't uphold the Navy college fund that I was promised when I signed up. Has anyone had this case before? Planning on applying to schools this cycle. 

During our brief on thursday the director told us that AS OF January, Voc-Rehab no longer drains away the 36 months of the GI Bill. So I presume that up to that point if you used voc-rehab, it took away from the time on any educational benefits you were entitled to. Apparently now that is no longer the case. 

What?! As of january what 16 or 17? This is huge! If true then this assures me being covered under voc rehab because I have used almost all of my GI bill. Is there a link somewhere? Did this just happen?

EDIT: Sorry, I was excited, I may have misread your post. So when you say drain away the post 9/11 GI bill, you just mean for people who havent used theirs yet (like doc-skyline) right? 

Did you happen to hear anything about people who have already used the GI bill benefits? Does that still drain the voc rehab benefits?

What?! As of january what 16 or 17? This is huge! If true then this assures me being covered under voc rehab because I have used almost all of my GI bill. Is there a link somewhere? Did this just happen?

EDIT: Sorry, I was excited, I may have misread your post. So when you say drain away the post 9/11 GI bill, you just mean for people who havent used theirs yet (like doc-skyline) right? 

Did you happen to hear anything about people who have already used the GI bill benefits? Does that still drain the voc rehab benefits?

lol, as of january 2016. Brother, I have 4 months left on my post 9/11(used it for my undergrad) and just got approved with full voc-rehab benefits.

"I may have misread your post. So when you say drain away the post 9/11 GI bill, you just mean for people who havent used theirs yet (like doc-skyline) right? " 

yes, that is the correct interpretation.

there is no drain on voc-rehab benefits. Once determined entitled, you are guaranteed 48 months with additional time being added via wavers. 

well thats encouraging. Do you gentleman know how much BAH is paid with voc rehab benefits? I haven't been accepted anywhere yet as this is my first year applying.

They base your BAH on either the post 9/11 or montgomery, they calculate both for you and then give you the higher of the two. Also, for those who didnt earn the entire gi bill benefit ( were not active duty long enough for 100%) still get the full BAH of go bill for voc rehab 

lol, as of january 2016. Brother, I have 4 months left on my post 9/11(used it for my undergrad) and just got approved with full voc-rehab benefits.

"I may have misread your post. So when you say drain away the post 9/11 GI bill, you just mean for people who havent used theirs yet (like doc-skyline) right? " 

yes, that is the correct interpretation.

there is no drain on voc-rehab benefits. Once determined entitled, you are guaranteed 48 months with additional time being added via wavers. 

Awesome! Yeah my counselor said that my GI bill usage drained away a lot of my voc rehab benefits, but he said that if I "get my A$$ accepted" that they would get me full covergage and pay for the whole program. My counselor is an awesome dude too. He was a infantry Marine in Vietnam. Super humble and even has a purple heart. Lets just say he really appreciates Corpsman. 

Thanks again 8404. 

I finished voc rehab in dec 2015 for pa school.  Note that after your done with pa school to ask your VRC about EAA (employment adjustment allowance) it is BAH up to 2 months after you are done with pa school.  All I had to do is show I graduated pa school by a diploma or a letter from the school, show my cv, send final transcripts, show that I was looking for a job or working, pance score.  You have to show proof that you are looking or working at a job for 30 days before they pay you.

I got accepted to PA school Aug 2012, got out of the Navy May 2012, Put in my disability package in Sep 2012, got my rating June 2013, Applied on ebenifits for voc rehab and went to my local voc rehab place and they told me i had an appointment with them in 6 weeks.  I had to tell them I was moving across county to Philly in 8 weeks.  They told me to cancel voc rehab and call philly's voc rehab.  I called and they gave me a spot for an appointment early aug 2013.  At the appointment I brought my transcripts, letter of acceptance, 10 job listings for pa and what education I need to be a pa and what was required to do the job.  I also brought my letter stating i was eligible for post 911.  I was approved for voc rehab in 5 mins depending if I can get a letter from my pcp stating I can be a pa and go to school with my disability.  That was it after that appointment 2 weeks later I went back and got a written plan.  Next day got my printer and 10 days latter they refunded me the laptop i just bought.  Started pa school sep 2013 and graduated dec 2015.  Was required to see my vrc once and during clinical since I was everywhere just had to make a phone call to touch bases.  In voc rehab you are required to send grades at the end of the term and give syllabus of all required equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got accepted to PA school this morning. I went on the e-benefits page and clicked the button to apply for Voc Rehab. It says that they will contact me to complete the application. I am rated at 60% by VA, but I am not sure if I will actually qualify. I still have my full GI bill so I will be covered regardless but the additional coverage for books, equipment, computer that Voc Rehab offers would be great if I qualify. Also, if I understand correctly,  it will draw down my GI bill a little less than 1 month for 1 month. Can any of you fill me in on what to expect next from VA? Any thing I should know when I first talk to them?  I am in Hampton Roads area of Virginia if that makes any difference. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Congrats IDC!!! 

You shou;d receive a letter in the mail from the VA in the next couple of days. 

This letter will state everything you need for your appointment which will scheduled in that peice of paper. 

Just get all the documents ready and go. You will likely take a quick apptitude test, and then you will speak with a counselor. 

I would suggest thinking about why becoming a PA would help your disability. That is the key. I am sure you will be entitled, and either way you have the GI bill so this a great! 

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Corpsman89,

Thanks for the feed back!

"I would suggest thinking about why becoming a PA would help your disability. That is the key."

This is the part I am concerned about... I am trying to figure out how to tie PA to my rated disabilities which are mostly ortho related issues from wear and tear on ships.

It will no longer drain your GI BILL from what I was told. 

Take with you any transcripts, acceptance letter and a print out of all the classes for your program. You will be given an appointment where they'll sit down and ask you how your disabilities affect you and why being a PA will mitigate them. They'll determine on the spot if you're entitled. Once determined entitled you'll have to fill out a packet and do an online survey. 

Corpsman89,

Thanks for the feed back!

"I would suggest thinking about why becoming a PA would help your disability. That is the key."

This is the part I am concerned about... I am trying to figure out how to tie PA to my rated disabilities which are mostly ortho related issues from wear and tear on ships.

I worried about it as well. 

Just do your best, and if you dont get it, then at least you have your GI bill!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my letter from VA. It has me scheduled for a "Group Orientation which may last up to 6 hours"... I am not sure if that is the actual evaluation or not. I guess I will bring everything with me just incase.

It should be. Mine was a group orientation followed by the one-on-one entitlement "interview"

I just got my letter from VA. It has me scheduled for a "Group Orientation which may last up to 6 hours"... I am not sure if that is the actual evaluation or not. I guess I will bring everything with me just incase.

Group orientation for me was just the required paperwork/info session. After it was complete (took about 90 minutes), we met with the counselors to determine if we would be authorized to receive the benefits. I would take everything with you to the orientation.

Archived