Disclose intent to retake GRE?

I have looked through this forum for the answer to this question but have not yet seen it.  I am a solid applicant GPA/HCE wise but did not perform well on the GRE (147 V, 147 Q) I want to retake the GRE but do not want to wait to send my applications.  On some of the applications on CASPA there are spaces to fill in answers to questions such as "are you currently taking any prerequisite courses".

Would it be appropriate to disclose that I am not taking any prerequisite courses in this section but I will be retaking the GRE in June? Or should I just leave it out completely and send the scores when I retake it?

Thanks!

• Administrator

You can either submit now, or wait, retake GRE, and submit later.  Saying "Here's my GRE score, but I plan on retaking it" is just... I dunno, silly.  What was your GRE last year?  Or did you just apply to schools that didn't need it at that point?

You can either submit now, or wait, retake GRE, and submit later.  Saying "Here's my GRE score, but I plan on retaking it" is just... I dunno, silly.  What was your GRE last year?  Or did you just apply to schools that didn't need it at that point?

147Q, 147V.  Last year I had transcript issues so I didn't get applications in until late (September or later). I still got interviews but at that point most classes were full so I was placed on the waitlist. This year my applications are ready now.  In addition,  I gained 3000 more hours of HCE and took grad level sciences (got 4.0 in all of them so far).

I know if I retake it and send to CASPA it will update in my applications anyway but I wasn't sure if it was something I needed to disclose.  

• Administrator

Oh, so you had a whole year to retake the GRE, and you focused on other things instead?  Then definitely don't worry about it, because all you can do is make yourself look like you're both procrastinating (not done yet...) and neurotic (... but it will be and I want you to know that ...). :-)

Relax a bit, it sounds like you did a whole bunch of other important stuff to buff your app, and at this point it's too late to *change* the GRE, so it's definitely to late to *sweat* it, either.  Worry about things you can change, not those you cannot.  I'd still retake the GRE WELL before next application season opens, just in case, but hoping never to need it.

About 6.5 months.  In which time I lost an immediate family member to suicide and another developed cancer.  Not making excuses by any means, I know life happens...  At that point though, HCE could earn income so it became most important.  Thanks so much for the advice Rev!

Oh, so you had a whole year to retake the GRE, and you focused on other things instead?  Then definitely don't worry about it, because all you can do is make yourself look like you're both procrastinating (not done yet...) and neurotic (... but it will be and I want you to know that ...). :-)

Relax a bit, it sounds like you did a whole bunch of other important stuff to buff your app, and at this point it's too late to *change* the GRE, so it's definitely to late to *sweat* it, either.  Worry about things you can change, not those you cannot.  I'd still retake the GRE WELL before next application season opens, just in case, but hoping never to need it.

Honestly, I would just wait and send it once you re-take it because it takes them a few weeks to verify CASPA before its sent to schools so PA schools won't get your app until about a month after you submit it. Therefore, you can submit your application now, study for GRE for 3-4 weeks, re-take it, and send those scores. This way by the time your CASPA gets verified, you and the program you apply to will get your new scores.

Honestly, I would just wait and send it once you re-take it because it takes them a few weeks to verify CASPA before its sent to schools so PA schools won't get your app until about a month after you submit it. Therefore, you can submit your application now, study for GRE for 3-4 weeks, re-take it, and send those scores. This way by the time your CASPA gets verified, you and the program you apply to will get your new scores.

Yeah I think I am going to retake it regardless.  That score is definite not indicative of my capabilities.  Other than that, I think I am a pretty solid applicant.  I now have 5000+ hours of HCE (including a practicum and 2 medical trips), a good science GPA 3.75-3.8, and, 200+ hours of shadowing.  I'm just hoping its enough.   Thanks for the advice!

• 2 months later...

Archived