South Florida Job Market

Saw this listing today...http://www.indeed.com/job/physician-assistant-family-practice-80999357a74eb662

XYZ INTERNAL MEDICINE - Delray Beach, FL 

$50,000 a year

Busy Internal Medicine paractice is looking for a C-P.A....Would like someone with 3 years of experience. Office is located in Delray Beach near Delray Medical Center. Monday-Friday FT 830-5

Job Type: Full-time

Salary: $50,000.00 /year

Local candidates only:

• Delray Beach, FL

So sad that someone will take this position.

Two new PA Programs have started in Florida the past two years, for a total of 11 separate  accredited programs  (12 if you include th Barry satellite), and 3-6 more are planning on coming on line shortly, with some big name schools (University of South Florida and Florida State) in the offing having already hired PDs, as well as a couple of the for-profits planning programs.   Plenty of PAs from the north and midwest early "retiring' there and still wanting to work as well.   Clinical training sites for students and residents are now at an absolute premium given that there are also two new allopathic medical schools, a couple more in the pipeline,  and two DO satellite programs either in existence or planned also.   That state has the softest pay and may well be the canary in the coal mine for new grad unemployment.  

• 1 month later...

I had an interview for a CV surgery job and the recruiter tried to convince me that asking for 85k a year was too much. I understand as a new graduate without experience I should not expect to get paid 100k+ but I can't imagine why these people think it is fair for us to get less than 80k after all the training we have received. In addition most of us graduate with 100k or more in student loans. How are we expected to pay that back with those offers?

LOL @ 50K/yr and 3+ years of exp...are they out of their minds?!? There are so many other things I would do before I would see patients for that little money...way too much responsibility/stress in this job for that.

EDIT: I almost think this has to be a typo. A "busy" practice is seriously seeking to hire a PA for $50K/yr? This is either not real, or else the hirer is just super out of touch and has maybe not worked with a PA before. This person maybe needs some gentle education, but the knee-jerk part of me is more inclined to send hate mail at the insulting offer. Jeez.

On the other hand, the listing says they're looking for a "C-P.A," so maybe they really mean to hire an accountant...

I had an interview for a CV surgery job and the recruiter tried to convince me that asking for 85k a year was too much. I understand as a new graduate without experience I should not expect to get paid 100k+ but I can't imagine why these people think it is fair for us to get less than 80k after all the training we have received. In addition most of us graduate with 100k or more in student loans. How are we expected to pay that back with those offers?

One thing that I've learned in my recent extensive job search: never trust a recruiter or ask them for advice about anything. Hell, I'm even skeptical when a company actually needs to use a recruiter (usually a sign of massive issues within the company).

Just my experience. Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't take their word as gospel.

LOL @ 50K/yr and 3+ years of exp...are they out of their minds?!? There are so many other things I would do before I would see patients for that little money...way too much responsibility/stress in this job for that.

Unfortunately, this is what I heard too. I have a friend from PA school that moved down there. She was offered around that much as an experienced derm PA. Yikes!

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT: I almost think this has to be a typo. A "busy" practice is seriously seeking to hire a PA for $50K/yr? This is either not real, or else the hirer is just super out of touch and has maybe not worked with a PA before. This person maybe needs some gentle education, but the knee-jerk part of me is more inclined to send hate mail at the insulting offer. Jeez.

On the other hand, the listing says they're looking for a "C-P.A," so maybe they really mean to hire an accountant...

Lol to the C-PA typo, also 3 years of experience for such a low pay? Must be a physician who doesnt understand the role of the PA and the kind of rigorous training and exam a PA undergoes to become licensed. Also, which CPA will gladly collect this low after taking series of rigorous exams to become a CPA (accountant). This must be a joke!

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Just had an offer

• 120 Hours PTO @ $40.87 per hour
  • 3 days CME and $1,000 CME Reimbursement
  • Malpractice policy at state max (Occurrence policy)
  • 50% Medical plan paid

PLUS

$85K Salary or

• $85K Salary for 6 months then per patient basis.
  • $80 per Eval for first 2 then $90 per
  • $40 per Follow-up (99213 + 90833) for the first 9 then $50 per
  • $25 per med management (99213) for the first 9 then $30 per
  • Just FYI the 90833 is a therapy code.

This seems like a really good offer for Florida. This is an outpatient Psychiatry practice.

It is a large practice. Currently 3 Psychiatrists and 11 NP/PA.  I had a concern about volume but, when I looked into it they show 600+ new patient referrals per month.\

I am not certain how to put a value on the benefits. They seem generous but, I would appreciate any input...

Thanks

Archived