Fired.....and Now Lost

Hey all.

I'm really depressed right now. Just found out that I've been fired from my job that I've had for all of 10 days.

I'm a family medicine PA and have been working as such for 3 years. I previously worked in an underprivileged area in a different state. I had physician supervision the entire time I was there and there were very helpful doctors. I saw my own patient load without any major issues.

Fast forward to now: I voluntarily left that job and came home. I had a job lined up that fell through at the last minute. I kind of scrambled a bit (to avoid a gap in my resume) and took the first job that came along.

The doctor told me that I'd be working at a different location than him and that there would not be a doctor on-site. He told me that I would be seeing approximately 15-25ish patients per day. At the time, he had four employees (one doctor and three PAs). Two PAs were leaving, one of whom gave very little notice. He hired me on the spot (which I thought was strange).

Another tidbit was that when I googled him, I discovered that he had recently been convicted of Medicare fraud. That in itself probably should have turned me off, but I was feeling desperate.

I worked this job for exactly 10 days. No one evaluated me and they just threw me in right away seeing patients. I noticed that the other PAs there had many many years of experience (all had at least 14 years).

The first week was a little tough as I was figuring out the EMR and basically just how the office worked. I put extra time into learning and felt that I was picking things up quickly. I did have questions at times, but only on things like Coumadin (which I'd never managed before). Also, I noticed that while they did technically give lunch breaks, they filled up my schedule during the lunch breaks anyway. I also had random walk-ins that just popped up on my schedule. One of the PAs there told me that it was not uncommon for her to see 40 patients in a day (far different from what this doctor originally told me).

Anyway, I did notice that they cut my hours back in the second week, which I thought was strange. Today, after clinic, the office manager sat me down and told me that I was fired. She said it just like that. I pressed her on why. She told me that the doctor didn't feel that I could be on-site alone and that some of the patients didn't have confidence in me. Beyond that, I was given no other reasons.

So now I have no job, no money, no confidence in my skills anymore. I have no idea how I could explain this to future employers. I can't even point to anything that I could improve upon.

I have no trouble treating URI, UTI, muscle pains, etc. Maybe it's that I work-up lung issues too much? I got some push-back from insurance companies when I ordered CT scans on patients that have been smoking for 20-30 years and have chronic bouts of bronchitis. That's the only thing that the office manager ever mentioned to me.

Anyway, as you can see, I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure out what I did wrong. I just can't believe I was fired....I feel like an incompetent loser right now.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, this sounds like a bummer bump in the road but nothing more.  You have 3 years of FP experience to draw from.  I assume you have solid references so just go back to the drawing board, get back on the job hunt and get your next offer.  Use this as a learning experience to determine what questions  you want to ask of your next employer before you get hired. 

Good luck.  Don't sweat this too much.  You know what they say about falling off the horse (or in the case getting pushed)?  Get back on. 

What YOU did wrong?

Dude, the only mistake you made was taking a job with this shady sounding clinic.

Yeah, as I was writing that, I realized how ridiculous it sounds.

The situation was extremely shady to begin with.

Yeah, this sounds like a bummer bump in the road but nothing more.  You have 3 years of FP experience to draw from.  I assume you have solid references so just go back to the drawing board, get back on the job hunt and get your next offer.  Use this as a learning experience to determine what questions  you want to ask of your next employer before you get hired. 

Good luck.  Don't sweat this too much.  You know what they say about falling off the horse (or in the case getting pushed)?  Get back on. 

Thanks. And, yes, I have very good references from my last job. I guess that I'll just make sure that I work with a doc on site going forward.

Yeah, as I was writing that, I realized how ridiculous it sounds.

The situation was extremely shady to begin with.

Thanks. And, yes, I have very good references from my last job. I guess that I'll just make sure that I work with a doc on site going forward.

Try federal government related positions such as working for VA or GS employee.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Guest ERCat

Sorry this happened to you. Sounds like a bad gig and it does NOT sound like any of this is your fault. Really? They gave you ten days and kicked you to the curb? I would think it takes people months to get in a groove and feel confident in a new place. Sounds like that boss would have been hell to work for so this is a blessing. Lots of us have been in similar situations and jumped ship early on. I took a job and left after a week because of the lack of support and supervision. I felt terrible about the time but now five months later I barely think about it and it didn't affect me professionally in any way. Learn from this and move on.

Sounds to me like this doc was running a Medicare mill and using the max number of PAs to see 40 patients a day - damn the torpedoes - see everything and everyone - don't complain - don't ask questions - just see 'em and bill 'em.

It was just a bad job choice. Do not let it reflect on your professional ethics, skills or integrity. 

I took a really bad job once - kept telling the little spark at the back of brain to shut up - everything was fine. It wasn't.

Just make sure to not repeat the mistake. Do the research. Look up the docs. Ask for his/her references. Follow your gut. 

Be true to yourself. Remember your smarts and move forward. 

Karma is out there - this doc will get his due.

Try federal government related positions such as working for VA or GS employee.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Yes I have been looking into those jobs. BOP too. At the very least, they offer stability. Thanks for the advice!

Sorry this happened to you. Sounds like a bad gig and it does NOT sound like any of this is your fault. Really? They gave you ten days and kicked you to the curb? I would think it takes people months to get in a groove and feel confident in a new place. Sounds like that boss would have been hell to work for so this is a blessing. Lots of us have been in similar situations and jumped ship early on. I took a job and left after a week because of the lack of support and supervision. I felt terrible about the time but now five months later I barely think about it and it didn't affect me professionally in any way. Learn from this and move on.

Looking back, there were a lot of red flags that I missed (mostly because I never really looked for a PA job so I didn't really know what to look for). He pretty much wanted me to start right away and he never checked any of my references (never had that on any kind of job before). He was also very flippant when I brought up benefits ("Yeah sure" :hand wave:).

Sounds to me like this doc was running a Medicare mill and using the max number of PAs to see 40 patients a day - damn the torpedoes - see everything and everyone - don't complain - don't ask questions - just see 'em and bill 'em.

It was just a bad job choice. Do not let it reflect on your professional ethics, skills or integrity. 

I took a really bad job once - kept telling the little spark at the back of brain to shut up - everything was fine. It wasn't.

Just make sure to not repeat the mistake. Do the research. Look up the docs. Ask for his/her references. Follow your gut. 

Be true to yourself. Remember your smarts and move forward. 

Karma is out there - this doc will get his due.

Thanks! Yes, I will definitely not jump so quickly into a job. Unfortunately, I'm unemployed now and I now have a gap that dates back a couple months.

I appreciate everyone's input, advice, and support! I already feel better!

To address the small gap - state that you found out the doc who offered you a job was convicted of Medicare Fraud and you had to move on.

Shows integrity and explains the need to look for a job. Makes that employer a non credible reference for anything.

No big details or hairy story - just a simple statement and move on.

My explanation for my big mistake - "the state attorney general called me at home and asked what evidence I had that the practice was committing billing fraud. I knew I could not stay in a practice of such questionable behavior and ethics." End of discussion about that clinic.

Deep Breaths - call in favors from friends and family - get financially creative and teach your kids someday about the crap life serves you sometimes and how you overcome it.

To address the small gap - state that you found out the doc who offered you a job was convicted of Medicare Fraud and you had to move on.

Shows integrity and explains the need to look for a job. Makes that employer a non credible reference for anything.

No big details or hairy story - just a simple statement and move on.

My explanation for my big mistake - "the state attorney general called me at home and asked what evidence I had that the practice was committing billing fraud. I knew I could not stay in a practice of such questionable behavior and ethics." End of discussion about that clinic.

Deep Breaths - call in favors from friends and family - get financially creative and teach your kids someday about the crap life serves you sometimes and how you overcome it.

Wow, thank you! This is amazing! I will definitely explain it this way.

this was illegal

the doc was not on site, and you were not credentialed - who were they billing under?  I bet you it was the doc, and that is illegal

Honestly, be glad, it is good you are not working there any more

I would not even list it on the CV unless you feel you have to, 2 weeks is more of a trial, and I would just follow up now with a letter saying you quit.

move on

don't worry about it

Firstly, it was impressive to see the supportive responses to just got fired.  Secondly,  look at it as a gift from heaven as sooner or later this doctor will be caught and maybe should be reported to authorities and your name WON'T be involved and your license intact.  Contact your state PA organization and join.  They would be a good source for jobs.  Once again great advise from all the above. IMHO

this was illegal

the doc was not on site, and you were not credentialed - who were they billing under?  I bet you it was the doc, and that is illegal

Honestly, be glad, it is good you are not working there any more

I would not even list it on the CV unless you feel you have to, 2 weeks is more of a trial, and I would just follow up now with a letter saying you quit.

move on

don't worry about it

I'm sorry, but I'm a bit confused by your last statement. Are you suggesting that I send that employer an email, stating that I'm quitting?

Just trying to clarify.

Thanks for the support!

Really, you did not have your own Medicare # I bet, and so they were billing incident to, and making lots of money, and all of this is illegal with the doc not on site; so it took you only 10 days to find out and get out.    Thank your lucky stars that you are gone from there.   I will also bet that you were too thorough and didn't order unnecessary things that they could bill for, so they will replace you with a bigger cash cow.  

Firstly, it was impressive to see the supportive responses to just got fired.  Secondly,  look at it as a gift from heaven as sooner or later this doctor will be caught and maybe should be reported to authorities and your name WON'T be involved and your license intact.  Contact your state PA organization and join.  They would be a good source for jobs.  Once again great advise from all the above. IMHO

Great advice! Thank you! I'm looking at my state organization right now.

Honestly, I don't think that I have anything on him to report. I do believe now that they may have billed for my services under his name, but I can't prove that. Also, I am also concerned that I'll get into trouble if I report anything and at the possibility of retribution.

And, yes, I am amazed at the supportive and great responses here. I'm single and don't have much family so I don't have much of a support system. This has been absolutely devastating to me, mentally and emotionally. I've never been fired in my life and have worked in some capacity for almost 20 years (not all as a PA). This thread alone has definitely helped me rebound quickly. I've already started searching for jobs and will hopefully be able to contact some recruiters next week.

Really, you did not have your own Medicare # I bet, and so they were billing incident to, and making lots of money, and all of this is illegal with the doc not on site; so it took you only 10 days to find out and get out.    Thank your lucky stars that you are gone from there.   I will also bet that you were too thorough and didn't order unnecessary things that they could bill for, so they will replace you with a bigger cash cow.  

Interesting. I didn't consider that. To be knowledge, I did not have a Medicare number.

And, no, I did not order what I thought to be unnecessary testing. I was specifically trained at my last employer not to do that so I try not to (other than for things like cardiac and pulmonary issues, which I tend to err on the side of caution).

Thanks for the response and support!

You are lucky to be gone from there. Don't even claim them as an employer. Having a break in your resume when you move is not a big deal.

Just move on and feel lucky you're not there anymore. Something better will open up.

Good luck!

^^^  This.

I would understand the whole Medicare fraud thing explanation if you had worked there for years, but you were there only a few weeks.  My advice would be to delete the whole scenario from your CV like it never happened.   You don't want to have to explain this situation to anyone, especially a new employer.  They could sit back and wonder if you would be indicted later on with this doc and not want anything to do with you.  I live by the wisdom "Less is More".

Just strike it from your CV and move on.

Archived