NHSC loan repayment

• 8 months later...

I applied and did not get the scholarship. Yes, it's competitive but not more for PA students vs. dental and medical. There are two students in my class who got it this year. That's promising and seems pretty consistent with the statistics. About 1 out of 12 students who apply will get it. Its an amazing scholarship and definitely worth accepting it IF you are lucky enough to be offered it. Think about this though. Most PA schools have 20 applicants for every spot offered in their PA program so the odds of getting this scholarship are comparable. I wouldn't worry about the HPSA scores until accepted. Usually it's around a 16ish that they accept but that number can change.

My recommendation, apply to the scholarship but assume you won't get it. If you get it, that's amazing and be grateful. If you don't get it, then you won't be devastated and will already have a plan in place.

Good luck!

Are  you asking about loan repayment or the scholarship? They work differently. With loan repayment, you graduate first, pass the PANCE first, get a job (that qualifies) first and then apply when the application opens. There are no guarantees that you will get the loan repayment the first year you apply and (unless I am mistaken) the time that you have worked prior to being granted loan repayment does not count toward your repayment. I know more about the scholarship aspect so if that is what you want to know about, send me a PM.

Archived