Does the Full Moon affect your day in practice?

It is Friday. It is a full moon.

Pretty sure a bunch of my patients parked their spaceship in the parking lot last night, had a rave, invited friends and instigated each other.

Mostly tongue in cheek - but - does the full moon affect your practice, patients, day at work?

Years ago in the ER - I would not pick the full moon to work nights. Maybe superstitious but people seemed a bit whackier that day/night and stuff seemed to not go right.

So, chime in. Or Howl - whatever it is that affects you............................

Pretty sure my office and your office are on the same bus route......

Today's Winners - 

62 yr old suboptimal bipolar treatment who walks 21 miles IN ONE DAY for fitness and health. Can't figure out why he passed out 3 times in the past month after doing this. He walks this distance 3-4 times a week, alone. He has passed out in another state and had to be taken to the ER. He is body obsessed and is clueless to his obsessive behavior. Also walking on a very young total hip that he will destroy before its time.

Anxiety ridden 21 yr old who fired her psychologist and then came to our office to establish so I would finally rx the meds she wants....................... hmmmm, no. How about a psychiatrist?

17 yr old male golf prodigy who played 2 tournaments this week with temp 101.4 and can't figure out why he doesn't feel good today..........................

21 yr female who "coughs up tonsil stones for years". Her tonsils have not one iota of debris or engorgement. Not sure what she is coughing up..............

So, everyone enjoy the weekend. Feel a bit more sane. Keep looking for antenna in the hairline and keep on plugging away - stamp out illness and disability.

I work EM, with the largest forensic cocoa puff eater facility in the province next door to us...need I say more?

SK

Have you ever gone to competency court? Do they have that in Canada?

I had to go in Texas from the County Hospital after my patient was on a 3 day psych hold.

The patient was found naked, standing on a restaurant table, eating paper napkins.

I came out feeling unbelievably sane and normal.

Have you ever gone to competency court? Do they have that in Canada?

I had to go in Texas from the County Hospital after my patient was on a 3 day psych hold.

The patient was found naked, standing on a restaurant table, eating paper napkins.

I came out feeling unbelievably sane and normal.

They have something like that here - a board of head crushers from the holding unit if someone is on an involuntary hold.  Never had to go per se...when I was in school, we did do a discussion regarding just such a person though that really was going to wind up back in if we (my psych team) didn't issue a form.  I have had to go before a judge to get a patient of mine formed though - only an MD can issue an involuntary psych hold and a copper can bring someone in for involuntary assessment if in their judgment the person is a nutter - many cops around where I used to work would do everything possible not to exercise their rights under the Mental Health Act, hence the reason I was before a judge to have a warrant issued as a citizen.  This was a result of me having it out with the coppers who apparently had conveniently not read the part of the Act that empowers them to use their highly trained and paid minds to do their job and keep out of court on a day off.  The person in question actually came back to me a couple months later and thanked me for my actions.

SK

Ever notice that there isn't a DSM-V code for "Normal, well adjusted human/humanoid"?

The Dx I often use at this time of the lunar cycle is "F.I.T.H." - Frigged In The Head...since there are some folks with way too many Axis I/II issues going on simultaneously.   My preceptor in head shrinking used to just shake his head when I came up with that on rounds...

SK

Guest Paula

I have a patient with a weird undifferentiated neurologic condition.  She woke up with a foreign accent.  Then tripped when she got out of bed and started stuttering and developed a head tremor.  

Very weird. 

There is an ICD-10 code for foreign accent syndrome.  

They have something like that here - a board of head crushers from the holding unit if someone is on an involuntary hold. Never had to go per se...when I was in school, we did do a discussion regarding just such a person though that really was going to wind up back in if we (my psych team) didn't issue a form. I have had to go before a judge to get a patient of mine formed though - only an MD can issue an involuntary psych hold and a copper can bring someone in for involuntary assessment if in their judgment the person is a nutter - many cops around where I used to work would do everything possible not to exercise their rights under the Mental Health Act, hence the reason I was before a judge to have a warrant issued as a citizen. This was a result of me having it out with the coppers who apparently had conveniently not read the part of the Act that empowers them to use their highly trained and paid minds to do their job and keep out of court on a day off. The person in question actually came back to me a couple months later and thanked me for my actions.

SK

Because I had a medical background, I used to get all the psych calls back when I wore a badge. My sergeant trusted my judgement on those. Some shifts I'd buy two or three transports to the hospital. A lot of police don't have experience, desire, or the ability to recognize acute problems versus chronic nuttery.

• 2 months later...

---today is the full moon again---

Everyone's labs are abnormal.

Patients are forgetting to tell me about that ER visit with admission and the 4 meds not on their list.

My MA is about to be fired - THANKFULLY - but we can't get decent candidates!!!

The computer is wonky and I need a nap.................................

Not enough Calgon

YUP.  In my first 3 hours of urgent care yesterday - we started the day with severe allergic rxn, I cut off a ring, I sent one to the ER, sutured 2 lacs, took off a toenail, had an urgent ophtho referral.  I ended the day with a pt who checks in one minute to close with a cough - I figure this will be easy.... except he only "coughs" when he feels this weird flutter in his chest.... oy vey.... 

Then my partner goes in to see a relatively healthy 28 yo male c/o "anxiety".  Turns out he also has epigastric pain and is a heavy drinker - LFT's through the roof.  Was going to start an outpatient work up but decided to send him to the ER as the business day is starting to end...    Normal u/s, CT with alcoholic hepatic steatosis.... then the pt CODES coming out of the CT scanner.  Obviously we weren't in the ER but reading the ER note it sounded like a giant disaster (because who expects a "healthy" 28 yo to code on you?)..... multiple shocks, meds, etc... oh and they accidentally hit his femoral artery trying to get a central line.....

Reality Check 2: GLAD TO HEAR about your horrible MA finally getting the boot! It's been a while since you posted that first complaint about her incompetence on here!

And ...lol.... I think I missed something in the "cocoa puff" comment.... can't quite tell if it's just the ad "cuckoo for cocoa puffs," or if "cocoa puffs" are a new slang term for a drug....? LMAO!!

When I worked in surgery I had to enter the ER to get into the hospital - the staff were always preparing for full moon, as was the OR when I got there.

Plus, I NEVER sleep well on a full moon or the night after. Happens like clockwork. Last night I was up until 4:30am just because I couldn't fall asleep.

Cocoa Puff eaters are in fact Cuckoos...it's a tad more polite than calling them wack jobs, nutters, psychos, etc...not much, but just enough to keep the supervisors from writing me up.

Obviously we weren't in the ER but reading the ER note it sounded like a giant disaster (because who expects a "healthy" 28 yo to code on you?)..... multiple shocks, meds, etc... oh and they accidentally hit his femoral artery trying to get a central line.....

On the bright side, they got themselves an art line...gotta be a glass half full guy sometimes :-)

SK

Archived