How do I really know PA is right for me?

Hey there, I am Bradley. I am currently entering my first semester at a local state college. After many years of high school and college level medical courses, I felt the urge and the calling to join the healthcare field. Upon high school graduation, I had obtained my Medical Assistant Certification and my C.N.A. cert for the State of Florida. Now that I am entering college on a full time level, I am still trying to decide which degree and career is going to be most beneficial and enjoyable for me. 

I have previous volunteer experience as well as clinical experience from my CNA certification process and have chosen a few professions of particular interest. These professions are obviously a cut above, however, but these include Physician and Physician Assistant. I question why I chose the highest careers possible in the "chain of medical command". My high school GPA was pretty unfortunate. However, I currently have a respectable 3.7 at the college now, with mostly Med elective courses such as Intro to health, Med terms, etc. 

My main concern is how I can become aware whether becoming a P.A. is within my reach. I don't excel too well at math, however, with hard-work and dedication I am sure it's not entirely irrational to obtain. I just want suggestions and perhaps personal stories of graduated P.A.s as to whether the path was super treacherous, and perhaps guide me in a beneficial manner.

Thanks guys.

Much Appreciated.

Bradley Sadulski

C.N.A. / C.M.A.

before you get up all in your head (which happens easily)

shadow PAs and doctors

learn about the opportunity costs of going to medical school

learn about the fallbacks of being a PA/ doctor 

it will take you a few years to begin to understand what you want in life to make you happy. i am still figuring that out.

-PA student

My recommendation is not to try to think this out but to start putting yourself into situations where you can actually gain some new input. Clearly shadowing is a huge part of that. After some of that, going to a PA program's outreach session (for prospective new students) would also open you up to new data.

There is not a lot of math in PA school. There IS a lot of clinical medicine, patho, pharm, diagnostic methods, and the like. If, in addition to the prereqs you are already taking, you have a chance to take pathophysiology, it might be an eye-opener for you.

Good luck. At one time or another, most of us were near where you are now.

Archived