Upcoming Regions EM Resident

Could you pls comment on the interview and selection process?  Your stats? if you could pls also.

Many thanks.

Regions has a rolling admissions-type process. They accept applications all year. I was told my best bet was to make sure I applied by Oct the year before I wanted to start. Regions has several interview groups and will keep searching until they find the right two candidates. As far as the interview, it wasn't a big deal. If you know why you want to do EM, it's really a piece of cake. They really try to feel people out and get to know you; no crazy questions or intimidation. I found the entire experience very pleasant, and I was impressed by all of the staff I interviewed with. 

Stats: GPA in didactic year of PA school was 3.99. My electives are orthopedics and trauma surgery. I also completed my EM rotation at Regions which was a great was to get to know the staff and the system. My experience prior to PA school was as an EMT and paramedic. I stayed involved in the realm of EM in PA school via a leadership position in our EM club. 

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't say they favor local applicants. I am from WI and am attending Des Moines University. The other student is from the area but went to PA school in California. Their primary concern seems to be finding applicants truly dedicated to EM that are going to fit in well with their program.

Yes, you can apply to the program before scheduling the PANCE. I applied in September 2015 (4 months into my 2nd year of PA school). My interview and acceptance occurred in December 2015. I just scheduled my exam a month ago. You are not able to sign up for the PANCE until you are within three months of your graduation date, I believe.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Residency, as with anything, is what you make it. Regions provides an amazing environment for learning with plenty of opportunities as long as you seek them out. So far, I have completed 3 weeks of toxicology, 1 week of EMS, 10 weeks in the ED, 2 weeks ultrasound/anesthesia and I am coming up on the last week of my 5 week SICU rotation. I have no regrets thus far... but I am certainly ready to be done with the 12 and 16 hours shifts in the SICU! The experiences I have gained in this short amount of time are invaluable. 

I had a bit of a credentialing issue since I graduated so close to when I started residency. As a result, I wasn't able to perform any procedures for my first  two and a half months of residency but I've done my best to make up for lost time. This is what I have logged since the middle of September when my credentialing finally cleared: 50 intubations, 2 arterial lines, 3 central lines, 1 chest tube, several hematoma blocks + fracture reductions, and more bedside ultrasounds than I can keep track of. It feels like I'm off to a good start and I'm 100% a believer in what residencies can offer for PAs interested in advancing their skill set. 

Archived