Paid time off

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I get 10 days PTO, paid standard holidays, 1 week paid sick leave and 1 "personal day". Also 5 days paid CME. So it adds up to a lot, but it's all compartmentalized so I cant just take off for 2 weeks to go hiking like I want to. 

I agree that 10 days (2 weeks) PTO is too little for a professional and I think all PAs, MDs, NPs, etc who are full time should get 3 weeks at the BARE MINIMUM. 

norm is 3-4 weeks Vacation, 11-13 holidays, 1-3 weeks sick/personal - less then this with out clear reason and they are ripping you off

I took less at a state job (2 weeks) but in 4.5 goes to 3, and you get an silly amount of sick and personal time - so it all comes out in the end....

CME also should be 3-5 days 

Sick time: accrues at a rate of one day per month for full-time, prorated by FTE (so working half-time, you'd accrue half a day per month, or a full sick day per 2 months). Maximum of 6 days, and after 6 months of work, unused days expire. So essentially, you carry 6 days per year perpetually.

PTO: 5 weeks paid time off for newer grads. As the years post-graduation add up, the weeks per year goes up. Most people will have 5 or 6 weeks off, but grizzled veterans can get to 7 or 8 weeks per year.

None of the above includes holidays. So, 2 weeks per year is in fact pretty hilarious, in my view.

I accrue time as I work, have gotten about 60 hours so far this year.  I will accrue a little more quickly after hitting the 3 year mark.  This includes all PTO, CME, sick days.  We are not expected to work holidays, and take turns covering the weekend around a holiday.  One great perk is that we work 4 10-hr days/week and make our own schedule.  So if I want a 3 or 4-day weekend for a short trip, I can do so without using any PTO.  

Guest UVAPAC

Occupational/Environmental Medicine:  3 weeks PTO 1 week accrued holiday PTO (Total of 4 weeks) + 1 week CME maximum (which my department head would never approve.)

We get 24 8-hr days per year (increases every 5 years you're here), but that includes sick time AND holidays, which stinks. Plus, if it's a day around a holiday that isn't that specific holiday (like Xmas eve or the day after Thanksgiving) and over 50% of providers asked off, they close the office and take away PTO for EVERYONE, even if you didn't ask off that day and were perfectly fine with working. This is probably the most frustrating part, since I don't have kids or a lot of family so I'm more than happy to work around holidays.  We get 5 days of CME time. 

I work 10 hour shifts, so that's even less days per year...but I work only 4 days a week so I already have every Tuesday off so that balances out. 

Guest Paula

8 weeks ATO (Accrued Time Off)   but it is NOT PTO.  When one works paid on WRvU production the ATO means 8 weeks of no income. 

Therefore you have to plan your year and decide which weeks to take off...likely the slowest weeks of the year so loss of income is not so bad. 

Currently I am in my guaranteed salary contract so will take the full 8 weeks off during my guaranteed time but once I'm on the WRvU system I will be seeing how to tweak it to my fullest advantage.

Or retire. 

Archived