Unique applicant background-Chances of getting accepted.

• 2 weeks later...

I am taking classes full time to finish my BS and will graduate this Fall. However, yes, I plan on taking Organic chemistry in the Spring 2017. So you are saying that some programs that I apply to THIS cycle will accept me even though I am not due to take Organic Chem until the spring of 2017? I also plan on taking Biochem at the U of A as a non-degree seeking student and hoping they will waive the requirements for having orgo I & II before I take the class. To be honest, I think I will still apply this year. I have been peeking on the stat section that shows students stats that were accepted, and I fell I may have a chance. 

At University of Utah I am basically good to go, so why should I not apply this cycle?

I guess I udnerstand though, it will be difficult (if I dont get in this cycle) to write a new PS, and aquire all new LOR from the same people. Two of which are currently serving and difficult to locate. 

-Greg

I would agree with you.. Apply this year! U of U is a great school (Maybe because I'm biased). I know the feeling of getting in sooner than later. Usually the GRE is used as a last resort if applicants match well. I don't think holds a lot of ground but don't bomb it (if you choose to take it). Remember the schools you are applying to. Their timelines and such.. I think you're a great candidate and have a solid chance at getting in this cycle. A lot of schools do not require orgo or biochem..These classes aren't a must. It will limit your application somewhat, but unless you really want to attend those schools that require them it doesn't matter.  The only downside to your application is not having your undergrad at the time of application. But, as long as you can show a track record and anticipated graduation date you should be fine. One of my classmates graduated right before school started. Good luck and go for it! 

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed your post Caleb_jo. First, I want to say that I respect your service, and hope to be in your position one day. U of U is my top pick and I am really crossing my finger for this school, just seems like a great program, and they appreciate military vets. I was saddened to find that I will not qualify for the HSCP scholarship to go back in the navy because I have a >30% rating from the VA. O well. Student loans here I go.

I am excited to apply this year, and think I have a good shot too, but I recently found out that I have abysmal GRE scores (V145 Q 148), but will be taking again on the 27th. Most of the schools I have applied to have assured me that GRE does not weigh much, but with my scores, I think that if I am compared to another person with the same characteristics they will probably pick the other based on my GRE. Hopefully, my new scores will be better, but I wont hold my breath.

-Greg

Whats all this talk about needing BIO 1 and 2 to apply to PA school. Im not a biology major and haven't, and dont plan to take bio 1 or 2. From what I could see most schools dont require it. If after taking Gen bio+lab, anatomy+lab, physiology+lab, microbiology+lab, Chem 1 and 2+lab, organic chem, genetics, cell bio, immunology, pyshcopharmacology, neurobiology, statistics, they tell me were not going to let you in because you havent studied evolution, photosynthesis and fish enough, then I probably dont want to go to their school anyway. Just saying.

Not sure how your post relates to the previous posts, but I would have to agree with you. I bet if they took an honest look at all of your classes they would allow you to enter, but they have a set pre-req schedule and they are going to stick to it, if its listed in their website, you must have it.  

DStillwagon-

Thanky you for the suggestions, It looks like I qualify for UNC and Marietta College, so I may try those programs. 

In the end, it is my goal to stay on the west coast, so I am really eyeing U of U and MEDEX right now, but they are popular programs, so we will see. 

I also have a wife and two kids, but I figure I will shell out some cash to apply and interview that way I wont have to go through this again naext year. We have decided to simply move where ever I get accepted and just go with the flow. My kids are young, and we are only renting, so not too much to lose. :)

Archived