Hey all,

CASPA open up soon, so I thought I'd open up this topic.

I am a member of the class of '18 at Miami Shores. I interviewed at a few places last year that had the class above take care of communications related things, so I figured I'd follow suit. Also, for the accepted class into the Miami campus, one (or a few of us) will create your page so that we can answer any questions that you may have (Moving has been the most daunting issue for most of us).

I'll be here for any questions. So feel free to PM me :D Of course, take multiple views into account, not just mine.

Best of luck to everybody applying this cycle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you for starting this thread. 

I had a question as far as which campus to apply too. I know all three campuses are highly competitive, but is there one campus that is easier to get into over the rest?

I am definitely no expert but I can answer from my experiences.  I think this question is hard to answer because each campus has something a little different to offer.  Miami shores admits more students (52) compared to St.Croix (24) and St.Pete (24), although all campuses receive the same lectures.  Keep in mind though, Miami may be more sought after.  On the other hand, many students like the St.Croix campus because of location and the fact that it produces a lot of NHSC recipients.  St.Pete is also a sought after area and the class size is smaller so it may be more difficult to grab a spot.  In any sense, I think they are all equally difficult.

Thank you for starting this thread. 

I had a question as far as which campus to apply too. I know all three campuses are highly competitive, but is there one campus that is easier to get into over the rest?

As Clarkc825 very well stated, each campus has their own strengths. If you're talking about requirements in terms of academically, I remember seeing that the other campuses (not miami) had stricter requirements. But don't let that draw you solely to Miami. The campus has the draw of being near the city and working with urban populations, which many find desirable. Also, rent is ridiculously high.

Definitely do a little soul searching and researching before you determine which campus fits your personality best. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all,

CASPA open up soon, so I thought I'd open up this topic.

I am a member of the class of '18 at Miami Shores. I interviewed at a few places last year that had the class above take care of communications related things, so I figured I'd follow suit. Also, for the accepted class into the Miami campus, one (or a few of us) will create your page so that we can answer any questions that you may have (Moving has been the most daunting issue for most of us).

I'll be here for any questions. So feel free to PM me :D Of course, take multiple views into account, not just mine.

Best of luck to everybody applying this cycle.

Congrats! I applied for the Miami campus a few weeks ago, are we to receive an email stating they received all of our materials, or will the next email be if they decide to invite us for an interview or not? 

Congrats! I applied for the Miami campus a few weeks ago, are we to receive an email stating they received all of our materials, or will the next email be if they decide to invite us for an interview or not? 

Thank you!

So I was contacted and told all my materials were received in the same email for my interview invite.

Best of luck!

Undergrad Ed School: UCLA 2015 Physics B.S.

Pre-Reqs GPA: 4.0

Gen Chem 1&2 Lec/Lab - A, A

Ochem 1 Lec/Lab - A

Gen Bio 1 Lec/Lab - A

Calculus 1, 2, 3 - A, A, A

Differential equations - A

Linear Algebra - A

Statistics - A

Psychology - A

Social Psychology - A

Fundamentals of Healthcare Delivery - A

Health and Wellness - A

Calculus-based Physics 1&2 Lec/Lab - A, A

Anatomy Physiology 1&2 Lec/Lab - A, IP

Microbiology Lec/Lab - A

Genetics - Planned

Gen Bio 2 Lec/Lab - Planned

Biochemistry - planned

Human Pathophysiology - planned

Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.48
Science GPA: 3.38

Post Bacc GPA: 4.0 (20 units)

My GPA fell once I got to upper division classes, I started socializing a lot more and realized I didn't want to become a physicist anymore. I had to do some solid soul searching and career research to decide on pursuing a physician assistant career. Oh well.

Age at application time: 23 almost 24

GRE: V: 74th percentile Q: 71st percentile W: 38th percentile. I should have actually prepared for this test and not stayed up so late the night before. Only 1 hour of sleep :(

Shadow Hours:  trying to get some

Letters of Reference: 2 professors (one of which is a physical therapist), my phlebotomist preceptor, and trying to find a PA and/or doctor

Certifications: ASCP Phlebotomy Technician

Direct Patient Care

550 hours phlebotomist in hospital and a health center

Research: summer internship with US Department of Energy - Fermilab

Volunteer:  Teaching ESL at community library, UCLA new student mentor/counselor

Schools Applied: Arizona School of Health Sciences, South University - Tampa, NOVA - Fort Lauderdale and Orlando, Thomas Jefferson University, Baylor College of Medicine, Barry University - Miami

Application Submitted Date: IP

Application Verified Date: IP

Interview Invites: 
Denied: 
Withdrew Application: 
Waitlisted: 
Accepted: 
Attempts:

I should be submitting within a couple of weeks now.

Hey all,

I had a question regarding letters of recommendation. On the Barry web site it states that we need a letter of rec from academicians. I can not tell if this is suggested or required. I have 5 letters of rec and they are from PAs, doctors, and a supervisor. Below is the direct quote from the site. If anyone has any feedback regarding if this is a make or break whether we have to have a letter of rec from a academician or not please let me know.

"Submitted three letters of recommendation, (from clinical work supervisors or clinical coworkers, and academicians)"

Thanks!

Hey all,

I had a question regarding letters of recommendation. On the Barry web site it states that we need a letter of rec from academicians. I can not tell if this is suggested or required. I have 5 letters of rec and they are from PAs, doctors, and a supervisor. Below is the direct quote from the site. If anyone has any feedback regarding if this is a make or break whether we have to have a letter of rec from a academician or not please let me know.

"Submitted three letters of recommendation, (from clinical work supervisors or clinical coworkers, and academicians)"

Thanks!

Barry has been really good about responding to emails and calls.  It's probably best you contact them directly for an anser to that question IMO.

Hey all,

Thanks!

So this is common for many places you may or may not apply to. Just in case, academician is a professor from one of your classes that you took. Preferably a pre-req (which I presume you knew all this). Although you are certainly free to call Michelle and ask, my experience has been that if a school states something in writing/on their website (e.g. GPA minimum, pre-reqs, minimal HCE) then they will not settle for anything less than that.

Best of luck.

My verification through CASPA was around the same date, however, I have not seen a confirmation that they received my application. has anyone seen confirmations from Barry saint pete.

I heard from a Barry student that they don't send out any confirmation email. He said the first email he got from them was to invite him for an interview. They may have changed it since then but that's what I've been told.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Just got an email stating that I handed everything in that was necessary and that my application is being processed. It stated interviews will start in September! This is for the Miami campus.

How long ago you have submitted your application?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived