I am in my sophomore year of college, currently working on my general Ed. and plan on transferring to my local university in the Fall or in the Spring with an Associate's Degree for Transfer in Exercise Science, and I was wondering what the difference is between a Bachelor's of Science Physician Assistant and a Master's Degree Physician Assistant. From what I've seen and researched so far, the only notable difference is the teaching/administration aspect that is open for those with Masters degrees. I personally would like some input because now is the time to start narrowing out what path to take and how to tailor my prerequisites to that path and I'm not sure how the 2 options differ in terms of pre-reqs and general admission requirements. Also, does a B.S.P.A. finish around the age of 22-23 like normal college students or is it still something that you apply for after a B.S (in Kines for example) at a University? Currently I have (roughly) a 3.75 overall and I work in an Emergency Department as a Physician Scribe, which I hope will carry some weight while applying as I see and learn about literally everything that can go wrong in the human body, and by my target time of application/admission I should have about 3 years of experience in the ED. My initial school plan was to transfer and get a B.S. in Exercise Science and go on to apply from there (for a Master's degree as a PA as far as I know), and while it's still my #1 plan, it's still somewhat broad and I was hoping for some other guidance or advice from current students or current P.A.'s that will help me hammer out the details and secure the best chance for getting in. Thanks for your time everyone! 

-Drew. 

I wouldn't go for BS PA degree, do the masters degree. From what I've read on here, many states will require a masters soon and there are not very many BS programs left. If you get the masters, you have nothing to worry about in the future as far as degree standing. Also, I've seen jobs specifically advertise they require a masters in PA studies.

Archived