30 replies to this topic

#21 Matt82

Matt82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:43 PM

ERCat-

180k sounds exceptional... I'm happy for you that you still love what you do AND make what sounds to me like an excellent living.

I'm in the midwest, perhaps a little more conservative pay wise? I'm not in a "highly desirable" area though it's a good place to live, and they are really having a hard time recruiting PAs. I travel between 3 different locations, up to 1 hour away. Those locations are semi-underserved and definitely underserved areas. My point is, base pay probably still low all things considered.

That's helpful to see your breakdown of base pay, bonus, and admin time. That's where the salary report fails to connect each of these components to show the full package most PAs have in their compensation. By the way, what's admin time for you like and how is that tracked??

anyone in the Midwest with input?

Thanks.

#22 ohiovolffemtp

ohiovolffemtp

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:11 AM

Southwest Ohio:

FT job: $65/hour, no night/weekend/holiday differential.  1.5x for hours > 40 in a week (rare), hourly rate varies by PA/NP, range is about $60-72

- malpractice w. tail

- no PTO

- $2500/yr for expenses: DEA, licenses, all CME, unused paid out as compensation

- medical, dental, vision, etc available as payroll deductions, 1 person coverage affordable, family expensive

- 50% 401K match, up to 6% of salary, i.e. max company contribution of 3%

- LT disability, we pay for ST

- W2 employee

PT job: $65/hour, $1,000 quarterly bonus if 150 or more hours worked.  1.5x for > 40 hours/week or holidays, no night diff.  FT experienced get $70/hr, FT new grad $65/hr

- malpractice w. tail.

- no bennies

- W2 employee

Can get paid beyond end of scheduled shift only with approval.  No pay for finishing charting after end of shift or for attending department meetings.

Seems to be about average across the big 3 and the local groups.

The only true wealth is to be able to spend your time as you wish.

#23 KTB004

KTB004

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:23 AM

Southwest Ohio:

FT job: $65/hour, no night/weekend/holiday differential.  1.5x for hours > 40 in a week (rare), hourly rate varies by PA/NP, range is about $60-72

- malpractice w. tail

- no PTO

- $2500/yr for expenses: DEA, licenses, all CME, unused paid out as compensation

- medical, dental, vision, etc available as payroll deductions, 1 person coverage affordable, family expensive

- 50% 401K match, up to 6% of salary, i.e. max company contribution of 3%

- LT disability, we pay for ST

- W2 employee

PT job: $65/hour, $1,000 quarterly bonus if 150 or more hours worked.  1.5x for > 40 hours/week or holidays, no night diff.  FT experienced get $70/hr, FT new grad $65/hr

- malpractice w. tail.

- no bennies

- W2 employee

Can get paid beyond end of scheduled shift only with approval.  No pay for finishing charting after end of shift or for attending department meetings.

Seems to be about average across the big 3 and the local groups.

The increasing trend of people reporting NO PTO in ER jobs is discouraging.  Coming from a position of working 5 PT EMS/FF jobs before PA school, and not having a paid day off for >9 yrs is leading me to reconsider my desire for ER upon graduation.  Especially when reports are now hitting in my geographical area.  Perhaps, this will be another reason to relocate post grad.  I am curious to how these positions handle time off?  In a w2 position, you do not have control over your schedule like you would with 1099 correct?  Is it common to be told you can't take unpaid time off?  I imagine the circumstances very by the groups.  However, generally speaking, I am curious to how the PA's in these no PTO environments are treated in regards to taking time off?       

#24 True Anomaly

True Anomaly

Emergency Medicine PA

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

The increasing trend of people reporting NO PTO in ER jobs is discouraging.  Coming from a position of working 5 PT EMS/FF jobs before PA school, and not having a paid day off for >9 yrs is leading me to reconsider my desire for ER upon graduation.  Especially when reports are now hitting in my geographical area.  Perhaps, this will be another reason to relocate post grad.  I am curious to how these positions handle time off?  In a w2 position, you do not have control over your schedule like you would with 1099 correct?  Is it common to be told you can't take unpaid time off?  I imagine the circumstances very by the groups.  However, generally speaking, I am curious to how the PA's in these no PTO environments are treated in regards to taking time off?       

My job has no PTO.  If I need time off, I request certain days off on a group calendar.  If there's a need for a particular day or night off that I may be scheduled, I've mostly been able to trade with someone else in the group.  

I don't have many requests, and I don't go on vacation much- but I do have outside responsibilities that our scheduler understands and will make accommodations for me

As it is, I only work 13-14 shifts a month, which ends up being about 130-150 hours/month

Emergency Medicine PA
Gig 'Em Aggies

#25 Matt82

Matt82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 06:21 PM

Ohio- 

very similar package with my group, but lower salary for me [hourly turns out about 53/54]. thanks for your input. 

KTB004- 

we put in for our days off and those days are supposed to be honored as long as we generally average 144 hours/month. Sometimes too many people request the same day/weekend off but they generally try to honor those requests. Very similar to True Anomaly's set up. Holidays are rotated. 

• KTB004 likes this

#26 ohiovolffemtp

ohiovolffemtp

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:15 AM

The rationale for no PTO is that it is factored in to the higher hourly rate - per the employer.  You control your income by how many shifts you work, as long as you hit the # hours you are contracted for in the year.  My FT employer does require that you work at least 122 hours in a month to be eligible for benefits in that month.  Another guy and I split a shift, so we do our own schedule.  Makes it pretty easy to schedule vacations if 1 wk or so.  If there are a few days in a month neither of us can work, the lead PA will schedule someone else.  But, she's glad we take care of 20% of the overall scheduling on our own.

• KTB004 likes this
The only true wealth is to be able to spend your time as you wish.

#27 EMEDPA

EMEDPA

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,272 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:38 AM

I get a week pto and a week cme pto, but realistically can get time off whenever I want by working more at the beginning or end of a month or taking a vacation spanning 2 months

• KTB004 likes this

Moderator, Emergency Medicine Forum
Emergency Medicine PA, EMT-P
Doctor of Health Science & Global Health
30 years in Emergency Medicine

#28 Matt82

Matt82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:09 PM

Nice!

I average 16-17 shifts per month just for my base salary. If I pick up extra shifts, it's paid out as an hourly moonlight rate of 65.

#29 roger777

roger777

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:05 AM

EMEDPA or anyone else, would you be willing to post a short list of new grad-friendly hospital systems/contractors who offer a highly-structured, quality training program at good pay for the first year or so? The example I am thinking of is Mayo as someone posted a few things about them before. I've heard good things about Minneapolis and will definitely apply there. I would love to do a residency but am getting a pretty late start in my career and I also have an enormously complex academic history (11 transcripts which I'd like to never have to collect again). An ER group I rotated with hires 1-2 people from our class each year, pay is good (+/- 100K to start and it's cheap here), but I am concerned the training could be a bit too short and/or perfunctory. My ideal spot would be NW or NE but not a big deal. Just finished my resume last night and the project is underway (Pance Sept 1stish).! 

Thanks.

#30 EMEDPA

EMEDPA

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,272 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 03:21 AM

Don't expect any formal training in any position outside of a residency. most places just want you to move the meat...

Moderator, Emergency Medicine Forum
Emergency Medicine PA, EMT-P
Doctor of Health Science & Global Health
30 years in Emergency Medicine

#31 Annika Kamberelis PA-C

Annika Kamberelis PA-C

Registered

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:27 PM

I started in the ED @ 42/hr, but got crazy good retirement. (almost = to my paycheck- it was a strange situation)

Then a rural UC @50/hr no benes at all (I negotiated 300/m to help with health insurance)

Then pulm/crit care @52-3/hr, great benes

then moved to a notsogreat job, eh in all ways, and actually a drop in pay (had to move for family reasons)

now heading back to ED @ 110/year, standard benes, MP, AAPA dues, DEA, licence, 100 hrs PTO, 2K CME, ~88/hr for over 40h in any week worked.  Oh, and in a beautiful mountain town! :)

• EMEDPA likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users