What are my chances??

I am currently looking at the following schools in NC: Duke, ECU

(and out of NC: MUSC, University of Kentucky, University of South Alabama, University of Florida, Emory University, and Baylor)

Wake Forest University c/o 2010

B.S. in Health and Exercise Science (planning on graduating with honors from the major)

Minor in Studio Art

Current overall GPA: 2.9

Current science GPA: 2.6

Current internship with dermatologist in Winston-Salem

Summer internship with "IDEA" study with HES department at WFU

Getting NREMT-B certified this summer

I'm also a Kappa Delta, extremely involved in the campus and community, etc.

What are my chances on getting in with my current information? It will all improve over the next 2 years, hopefully, but I want to know where I can realistically plan on getting in.

I am a Wake grad as well and was also an HES major and very involved on campus...I applied this cycle to ECU, UF, and MUSC out of the schools on your list, with a 3.18 ugrad GPA, 3.0 science, and a year's paid work experience in addition to the volunteer work experience I had during school. I got a very quick rejection at ECU (I'm guessing they probably have a GPA minimum which I did not meet). I was also rejected at UF and MUSC, but was accepted at Methodist and Wake.

Would you consider adding Wake's program to your list? I know the program is a little different (they use PBL instead of the traditional lecture style), but I think they are probably more understanding of WFU's grade deflation (we briefly talked about my GPA during my interview, but it was not a sticking point). Getting paid healthcare experience will help, but I also would consider taking some more science classes post-bac to boost your GPA. Good luck, and PM me if I can be of help to you!

• Administrator

Right now? Your grades aren't competitive, nor is your healthcare experience. Unless you have a great personal statement and LORs that closely align with a program, I would seriously recommend waiting out this application cycle, getting a ton more HCE, taking more science classes (community college is fine) and getting ALL A's to get your GPA up to at least a 3.0 cum, 3.0 science before next season.

As a current PA student allow me to say this about the programs youre considering.

1. ECU was my alma mater, I love the school. but the PA program is not the greatest. Its highly disorganized and i heard from faculty close to the program that it was on the verge of losing PAEA accreditation.

2. The Wake program is different in its teaching styles, and while its probably a well ran program, its PANCE rates speak for itself.

3. Duke Is a good program but if youre willing to pay its price of tuition, then you might want to consider applying to Methoidst UNiv PA program in Fayetteville. The Methodist program has new, young, and experienced leadership, new facilities, and I'd suggest you look at it.

4. GPA is a major factor yes, but really they care for the GRE score...just like med schools want high MCAT, PA schools want high GRE.

5. Most PA programs are geared towards primary care, so I suggest you try to get some experience with a family doc, or internal medicine doctor. But honestly i did most my time in surgery and it didnt affect my chances.

6. You could go to EMT School, but honestly its not worth your time or money. Just get the required hours by volunteering at local medical missions, or with your Derm internship.You have 2 years and plenty of time to get them

just my 2 cents.

^ Wish they would have made that clear on their web site. It was a waste of my money to even apply there, then...and a waste of their money and time to send me the rejection letter. Oh well!

Wake's PANCE rate has been hanging out around the national average for the past couple of years...I think it was down a little bit last year. At the interview they explained that although there is a review course available before taking the test, the general focus of coursework throughout the program is not simply to "teach to the test". They try to teach students to think and learn in a more clinically based, active learning style rather than just passively learning from lecture. Regardless, they are trying to look at ways they can improve the first time pass rate, and virtually all who had to take it again passed on the second try.

I also think Methodist has some good things going for it too. I was impressed at my interview with the way they portrayed the program and it seems well organized. Additionally, they are building a brand new facility for the cadaver lab and lecture hall that should be done by this fall. In the end I decided to attend Wake, mostly because of the price difference and also because I feel that it's a slightly better established program.

As a current PA student allow me to say this about the programs youre considering.

1. ECU was my alma mater, I love the school. but the PA program is not the greatest. Its highly disorganized and i heard from faculty close to the program that it was on the verge of losing PAEA accreditation.

Megared,

PAEA does not grant accreditation to PA programs; ARC-PA does.

You didn't mention where you are going to school. Could you please add this to your message?

Thanks in advance.

gatorPA

GPA is only one facet of your application. Some schools rely on it much more than others. While I wouldn't suggest not strengthening your GPA, I assure you that most schools will not make a decision solely based upon it, unless the GPA is truly abhorent. Many schools use a computer algorithm to "weed out" applicants based on GPA and GRE scores, but most will give you a look.

6. You could go to EMT School, but honestly its not worth your time or money. Just get the required hours by volunteering at local medical missions, or with your Derm internship.You have 2 years and plenty of time to get them

just my 2 cents.

Really? Let me qualify this a little bit. If you are planning on only taking the EMT course to pad your application, then yes, don't waste your time or money or block up a spot in EMT class that could be filled by someone who really wants to serve their community. However, the difference between the experience you will recieve as an EMT and volunteering in the local medical mission are night and day. The EMT class will teach you many of the early diagnostic skills and assessments that will form the foundation of the assessment skills you will build in PA school. Depending on where you work or volunteer as an EMT, you could also find yourself functioning as the sole provider of some patients and having to use clinical judgement and critical thinking skills on your own without much oversight. If that's not worth the $65 or so dollars most NC community colleges charge for EMT class, then I don't know what is.

The EMT experience, on top of your Derm internship will make you look much more well-rounded, and can provide you an expanded perspective that is helpful in "standing above the crowd" in your interviews, especially is your GPA is not as pristine as others will lead you believe it needs to be.

Two more pennies added to the pot. Spend them wisely.

How would you know what the program is like at ECU, did you go through it? Since you were an undergrad at ECU and you talked to some "faculty" that means you know what it's like, right? I am currently a student here and I am very happy with my decision to attend ECU. We have been re-accredited for 5 years, have above average PANCE scores and some very intelligent and personable students. Please refrain from posting about things that you obviously don't know what your talking about.

Edited by thebrown88
My mistake in reading and understanding the quoted post

I disagree with this part. Being an EMT is excellent HCE! Volunteering does not compare.

2. The Wake program is different in its teaching styles, and while its probably a well ran program, its PANCE rates speak for itself.

I beg to differ with these two points - EMT school is only a waste of time & money for those who do it to get the cert and then never put it to use, a not-uncommon practice in those applying to PA/Med school! An EMT's scope is limited, but srward nails it above - it's a great way to learn your initial assessment & triage skills, along with how to provide basic TX, stabilize & transport pts.

Prior to PA school, I "volunteered" in two different Level 1 Trauma center EDs for over a year each. I then got cert'ed as an EMT and worked as an ER tech in one of those EDs for two and a half years. I learned more in just that first week of full-time ER shiftwork than I did in all the volunteering hours put together. Not to mention the off-the-books curriculum of how a busy ER runs, the hierarchy of how techs/nurses/MDs interact, how to navigate a large hospital and find what you need when you need it. And most of all - what "sick" looks like, which only comes with time! Granted, every gig is different. But paid experience trumps volunteer experience hands-down in my book.

As for Wake's PANCE passing rate - I am currently a Wake student, full disclaimer. The program is actively working on trying to raise the numbers, if only because people such as yourself make a big deal out of them. Unfortunately they likely lose many good applicants because of that fact. But keep this in mind - Wake gives you quite a bit of freedom to shape your own education how you see fit. If you know a little bit about medicine coming into things, are responsible, driven and curious you can likely learn as much or more here than you can at any other program. If you have little to no experience, have trouble motivating yourself, need the material to be laid out for you and want a ton of guidance and hand-holding along the way you will likely flounder.

My own personal analogy - it's kind of like raising a kid. Give them enough room to roam, and some will take that opportunity to become well-rounded, responsible & balanced adults who've seen the world and have come back better for it. Some others can't handle that taste of freedom, and instead they'll end up going off the deep end, getting pregnant, hooked on drugs, in jail, you name it! That's a joke, but hopefully you get my point. Wake gives you the tools. Your own personal experience & PANCE score is all about what you make of that.

As for Wake's PANCE passing rate - I am currently a Wake student, full disclaimer. The program is actively working on trying to raise the numbers, if only because people such as yourself make a big deal out of them. Unfortunately they likely lose many good applicants because of that fact. But keep this in mind - Wake gives you quite a bit of freedom to shape your own education how you see fit. If you know a little bit about medicine coming into things, are responsible, driven and curious you can likely learn as much or more here than you can at any other program. If you have little to no experience, have trouble motivating yourself, need the material to be laid out for you and want a ton of guidance and hand-holding along the way you will likely flounder.

My own personal analogy - it's kind of like raising a kid. Give them enough room to roam, and some will take that opportunity to become well-rounded, responsible & balanced adults who've seen the world and have come back better for it. Some others can't handle that taste of freedom, and instead they'll end up going off the deep end, getting pregnant, hooked on drugs, in jail, you name it! That's a joke, but hopefully you get my point. Wake gives you the tools. Your own personal experience & PANCE score is all about what you make of that.

I just wanted to note that I changed my post due to incorrect interpretation of the quoted post. I think that Wake is an outstanding program. There is way more to a program than a PANCE pass rate(although it is important).

thebrown88

Im sorry you took my post about ECU the wrong way. As a Pirate, I would never talk badly about my alma mater, with out just cause or reasons.

But lets face somethings. Your admissions is highly disorganized, I know several of my classmates applied to ECU and all could never get a straight answer or replay as to the status of their application. Furthermore some were invited to interviews but never received notice.

I know this can be true first hand,as they lost my GRE scores and ECU transcripts twice.

I heard the ARC- PA accreditation issue from a former ECU PA faculty member who applied for a position at my program. I never said it was true, I simply said "I heard". Also there are reasons why your chair has stepped down, and some faculty members are leaving.

I never stated anything bad about ECU PAs or graduates. Or implied anything negative about the students who attend. I'm just stating some things I have heard about the program.

Thank you however for clearing up the accreditation thing.

And every program has issues with faculty, facilities, admissions,etc. No program is perfect by any means.

Edited by megared
Pressed reply too soon!

• 2 weeks later...
thebrown88

Im sorry you took my post about ECU the wrong way. As a Pirate, I would never talk badly about my alma mater, with out just cause or reasons.

But lets face somethings. Your admissions is highly disorganized, I know several of my classmates applied to ECU and all could never get a straight answer or replay as to the status of their application. Furthermore some were invited to interviews but never received notice.

I know this can be true first hand,as they lost my GRE scores and ECU transcripts twice.

I heard the ARC- PA accreditation issue from a former ECU PA faculty member who applied for a position at my program. I never said it was true, I simply said "I heard". Also there are reasons why your chair has stepped down, and some faculty members are leaving.

I never stated anything bad about ECU PAs or graduates. Or implied anything negative about the students who attend. I'm just stating some things I have heard about the program.

Thank you however for clearing up the accreditation thing.

And every program has issues with faculty, facilities, admissions,etc. No program is perfect by any means.

In your initial post didnt state that you were talking only about the application process(thank you for clearing up). You talk about your friends who were "invited to interviews but never recieved notice". How did they know they had an interview if they didnt recieve notice? My interview invite was mailed to me in Oct. and told me the exact date in Jan.(almost 4 months of notice). What did they expect, someone to hold their hand through the whole process? So they lost some of your app, every school I applied to lost some of my stuff, including the school you attend. Does that make Methodist a bad school or do you see me bashing them for it, no way.

My reply was mostly referring to the fact that you were posting second hand information that was not correct. Again, you talk about stuff in this post that you have no clue about. Please for your own benefit, don't post things on a public forum that you "heard" from someone else.

Edited by thebrown88
Better choice of words

• 10 months later...

ECU's minimum GPA is a 3.0, not a 3.5 and it says it right on the program brochure. Also, there is a new director for the program-Carolyn Pugh & she has been incredibly nice and helpful to me (I will be applying this cycle). She even took the time to meet with me personally and give me a personal tour when I could not make it to the February information session. I obviously do not attend there (YET :-)), but I still do not appreciate bashing of the program since this is where I plan to go. It is the only school I am applying to actually. I originally planned to go to Methodist (and have been very impressed with Jennifer Mish and her organization and kindness as well), but decided to change my plans once I researched ECU a little more. Anyway, I just wanted to throw my .02 in as well since there seems to be some misinformation and some rumors showing up about my future school.

• 9 years later...

Hello all! 

I am currently a student at a community college in Wilmington, NC

I am wondering if I transfer to ECU to complete my Bachelors would that affect my acceptance chance into their Physician Assistant program? I had read a while ago about programs wanting to have diversity when it comes to this, is this true?