How to become a military PA

Hello,

I am currently my first year of PA school, set to graduate in 2018. I have always considered the idea of joining the military, especially now that I can join the military as a PA. There is some informatoin available online but I have some more specific questions regarding the process.

I know scholarship programs and direct commissions are very competitive, what can I do to make myself a better applicant (GPA is 3.5)?

What does the process of applying/training entail?

What is it like to be a military PA?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Consider a year in primary care or EM after graduation. One of the check boxes for commission is a year of experience. This doesn't apply if you have a scholarship, but does for a direct commission. It can be waived, but waived can be a paper work problem.

On another note, contact your local recruiter for the branch you are interested in and get the contact info for the medical recruiter. They can give you specifics the "regular" recruiter can't.

Depends what branch you're in.

I would look at the HSCP if you're thinking Navy. You may be able to commission directly into the Army (I know they did this during the war, but I'm not sure now since they are drawing down). I can't think of a way that you'd be able to get into the Air Force since they discontinued HPSP and now just develop PAs from within.

Definitely check with your local health care recruiter though.

• 7 months later...

I want to direct commission into the Navy after I finish PA school. I graduate in May 2018. Does anyone know how far in advanced they project billets? Would a 2018 grad date put me in the FY2018 or FY2019 pool? My recruiter is nice, but they don't always respond, probably because they are busy dealing with people currently submitting packages.

Archived