List of Doctorate Programs for PA's

There are several doctorates that could "pave the way" I suppose.  DHSc, DBH, DPH, PhD, EdD, DBA...it matters what you want to get out of the education and the curriculum that comes with the program.  There are differences within in doctorate programs as well.  I will be finishing my DHSc next month.  So, all I have is that to reference, but I could have gone to another DHSc program and got a focus in administration, teaching, or a medical specialty focus.  EMEDPA did global health, while I did the "generalist" track.  From what I have gathered, most PAs get the degree for a specific goal/reason.  I have seen more NPs getting a doctorate for the title alone.  

• Upvote 1

True...

So competent PA spending $80k on a "doctorate" thats only going to beat the HTN,DM,CAD,BPH,Smoking Cessation, Therapeutic Lifestyle Modification, weight loss and diet horse to DEATH...

When they already know this stuff in their sleep is getting this "doctorate" for what besides... ummm... personal ummm growth and a title..?

True...

So competent PA spending $80k on a "doctorate" thats only going to beat the HTN,DM,CAD,BPH,Smoking Cessation, Therapeutic Lifestyle Modification, weight loss and diet horse to DEATH...

When they already know this stuff in their sleep is getting this "doctorate" for what besides... ummm... personal ummm growth and a title..?

For me, I want to go into academics or administration.  Having a doctorate degree will help increase my chances of that and make me more marketable.  In academics I can also earn a higher salary by having a doctorate.  The PAEA has their 2015 survey showing the stats.  It is not a huge difference, but a difference.  There are only 17.4% of PA Faculty with doctorate degrees (PAEA).  Most faculty postings have "master's degree required, doctorate preferred".  I will upgrade myself to the "preferred" status....and earn airline mileage points I think

http://paeaonline.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/facutly-directors-report20160218.pdf

• Upvote 1

It does make a difference with regard to teaching. I have been offered multiple teaching jobs based on casual conversations with faculty. one of those conversations at the aapa conference last year resulted in a job offer for a part time position that I will start later this year.

Right...

I get that E...

It's not a "clinical" doctorate.

You didn't spend money to regurgitate the stuff you know in your sleep.

The "DBH" has a "clinical" track...

It also has a administration track focused on teaching how to actually RUN/HEAD/CEO a large health care organization.

That's what I'm interested in.

Big office

Meetings

Long lunches

Big checks

; - )

Updates

seems reasonable:

Dear Potential Applicant,

I know that some of you have received this email already but it was brought to our attention that many candidates did not receive the email so this is a duplicate. 

Thank you for your interest in the Doctor of Medical Science degree and we hope that you will visit our newly launched website. 

www.lynchburg.edu/dmsc

Dr. Jeremy M. Welsh,

DHSc, PA-C, EM-CAQ, CMI, DFAAPA, CHEP

Associate Dean, Graduate Health Sciences

Founding Chair/Director, PA Medicine                                                                                                                        

Associate Professor

(o)434-544-8673

(f)434-544-8896

Virginia Academy of Physician Assistants

Director-at-Large

Lynchburg Regional Coordinator

www.vapa.org

The ARC-PA has granted Accreditation-Provisional status to the Lynchburg College Physician Assistant Program sponsored by Lynchburg College.

Accreditation-Provisional is an accreditation status granted when the plans and resource allocation, if fully implemented as planned, of a proposed program that has not yet enrolled students appear to demonstrate the program’s ability to meet the ARC-PA Standards or when a program holding Accreditation-Provisional status appears to demonstrate continued progress in complying with the Standards as it prepares for the graduation of the first class (cohort) of students.  Accreditation-Provisional does not ensure any subsequent accreditation status. It is limited to no more than five years from matriculation of the first class.

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged and confidential. If the reader of this transmission is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error or are not sure whether it is privileged, please immediately notify us by return e-mail and delete or destroy any copies, electronic, paper or otherwise, which you may have of this communication and any attachments.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The second one seems very strange and I don't know what to make of it.......

for CULA

CULA is offering a copyrighted, competency-based program; so, the outlined qualifying criteria are extremely important.  If you have those you can qualify for the program we are offering.  Thanks for your interest.

Andy Lee, Ed.D., Director of Admissions

-- 
Sincerely 
Dr. Henry L.N. Anderson 
Founder and Chancellor Emeritus 
City University Los Angeles 
dr.anderson@cula.edu
www.cula.edu 

Big office

Meetings

Long lunches

Big checks

; - )

did this for a few years and found admin not for me. of course , I did it in addition to full time clinical practice so 7 am mtgs after getting off work at 2 am.

best of luck in your endeavor, we need more PAs in hospital leadership roles.

That was my thoughts as well. If a bridge program becomes more present then maybe that would be an option, but I didn't start pursuing this profession for a title so no worries on my end! 

A bridge program is useless and should not be more present. If you have dreams of bridging into a doctor, go to medical school.

• Upvote 1

A bridge program is useless and should not be more present. If you have dreams of bridging into a doctor, go to medical school.

I agree. I did not become a PA-C because I could not get into medical school. 

I know I could have got into medical school cause I went to a PA program that was within the school of medicine. The ONLY difference between PA and MD pre-req was the MCAT. I do NOT want the PA profession to be known has a stepping stone to medical school. We will then be falling back further behind if we continue this mentally. We need to work on moving our profession forward (just like NPs are doing). 

• Upvote 2

• 4 months later...

The clinical Doctor of Medical Science from Lincoln Memorial University is intended to produce a new Doctor of primary care medicine.  This is not a clinical doctorate for PAs.  It is producing a new type of “practitioner.” There is a bill before the Tennessee legislators introducing this new practitioner. This bill is not intended for the PAs choosing the education track.  Additionally, the school indicates that other existing DMS programs would be disqualified from obtaining a Tennessee license.    Visit this link and view the video: http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/billinfo/default.aspx?BillNumber=SB0850

The Bill Summary follows:

This bill requires the board of medical examiners to grant an applicant a license as a doctor of medical science (DMS) if the person:

(1) Previously has been licensed and served in clinical practice for at least three years in one or more states as a physician assistant;

(2) Is a graduate of a minimum two-year doctor of medical science program accredited by a regional body under the United States department of education;

(3) Has successfully completed the examination on the certification of doctors of medical science, with the examination determined by the board; and

(4) As determined by the board pursuant to rules promulgated under this bill, provides satisfactory evidence of an affiliation or association with a hospital, group practice, or a list of physicians with medical expertise outside the expertise of the person seeking licensure as a doctor of medical science.

Upon the issuance of a license by the board as provided in this bill, the person receiving the license will be entitled to practice in this state as a doctor of medical science. A person licensed under this bill as a doctor of medical science will be subject to the laws applicable to the practice of medicine and any rules adopted by the board.

This bill requires the board to provide for renewal of licenses for a person licensed under this bill as a doctor of medical science in the same manner as provided for medical doctors, with the further requirement that the renewal application include evidence either of affiliation or association with a hospital or group practice, or a list of physicians with medical expertise outside the expertise of the DMS and with whom the DMS-licensed person is able to consult as needed or appropriate, on file with the board at the time of relicensing.

Every licensed doctor of medical science must biennially pay a licensing renewal fee as set by the committee. In order for a license to be renewed, licensees must also present satisfactory evidence to the committee that the licensee in the year preceding the application for renewal successfully completed 100 hours of continuing medical education and met all of the other requirements of this bill.

This bill requires the division of health related boards, with the approval of the commissioner of health, to establish a system of license renewals at alternative intervals that will allow for the distribution of the license workload as uniformly as is practicable throughout the calendar year.

This bill authorizes the board to promulgate rules related to the scope of practice, application process, license renewal, penalties, and other areas as the board determines necessary for licensed doctors of medical science. This bill also authorizes the board to establish a committee on doctors of medical science to assist with promulgation of rules.

Roger Jones

• 2 weeks later...

It's called "degree creep" and it happens in every profession. Eventually you'll need a phd to deliver the mail.  So it shouldn't surprise anyone that its just a matter of time before PA's will be required to have doctorates to be able to practice.  I believe the main thing that fuels this is the desire on the part of the peope in the profession to keep others out and therefore limit the job competition.  With PA's, there's also the added pressure that NP's are starting to require doctorates to practice and we need to look just as good.  In CA, the nursing board voted to only let DNP's practice as nurse practitioners. I think it was supposed to go into effect in 2016 but it has stalled.  I think PT's now require doctorates to practice as well.  I just spoke to the head of the orthopedic residency at Arrowhead (which just starting offering a DMS program) and he told me that it's inevitable that PA's will eventually need doctorates - of course he may be biased because his program is offering it, but he's also someone who's opinion counts based on his experience and expertise.  I would be willing to bet that in the next decade or so PA's will also need residencies to practice, and that's not necessarily ALL bad, just the inevitable way that these things work.  Just be happy that you're already in the door since the prereqs and admissions requirements keep piling higher and higher. 

• Upvote 1

My understanding is that you can use a fellowship or residency to satisfy the curriculum required for the DMSc through Lynchburg College. So the degree is from Lynchburg and Arrowhead has an agreement with Lynchburg which ensures that the didactic and clinical educatiom you recieve from Arrowhead is up to their standards. The question is who pays Lynchburg for the degree? This is my understanding from speaking to Lynchburg at their AAPA booth.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

On 6/29/2017 at 8:00 PM, corpsman89 said:

I couldn't find anything about the Arrowhead DMS program. Link??

On 6/29/2017 at 8:22 PM, SoCalPA said:

My understanding is that you can use a fellowship or residency to satisfy the curriculum required for the DMSc through Lynchburg College. So the degree is from Lynchburg and Arrowhead has an agreement with Lynchburg which ensures that the didactic and clinical educatiom you recieve from Arrowhead is up to their standards. The question is who pays Lynchburg for the degree? This is my understanding from speaking to Lynchburg at their AAPA booth.

Arrowhead's EMPA fellowship is offering extension of their 14 month program to 20 months if the resident is interested in the DMSc through Lynchburg. Residents do the didactic online from Lynchburg with the clinical training from Arrowhead during the first 14 months and the work they do the following 6 months is what pays for the DMSc. 

That's very very interesting. One would have to do the #s to see if that is a value. But i guess 6 more months of fellowship isn't bad either. That would also put them in line to sit for the CAQ if they desired. Hopefully other Residencies/Fellowships will jump on board and add that as a benefit!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SoCalPA said:

^^^ OMG that name. I'm sorry but a Doctorate in PA Studies sounds hidious. The title alone is not worth the money. Lynchburg still got my attention.

I know but it's also only 27 credits long with no on-campus time. Seems like a way to get a Doctorate of Science (in PA Studies) from a good school without spending years or millions of dollars.

I guess but i would only put DSc. after my name. It seems like the same initials as the Baylor EM for Military degree. I do admit it is a good school.  I would wanna do it under the "accelerated option" they mention. 

Also can you use a residency/fellowship to satisfy any of the Capstones?