I didn't see anything about this anywhere else in the forum, so I figured I'd throw it out there. At our last EOR one of our professors made an announcement that employers are looking at PANCE scores as a component of an application when hiring new grads. I'd never heard this before, and I was wondering if anyone has come across this anywhere. 

What do they call the student who graduates last in his medical class.?

DOCTOR

I have never had anyone ask for my scores, nor even show any interest in them. I suspect they might not even be able to interpret them with out some effort to understand them...

Maybe going into a competitive residency with out job experience as a PA, or in a university setting that is highly sought after - (outside of my field)

But you are a PA-C and that means you have a license

I also this it is dangerous to directly equate a test score with the ability to be a provider - they are not directly linked - and sometimes seems to be inversely related - brianiacs have at times, difficulty relating to patients......

I either have a C behind my title or I don't - not one person in 25 years has ever asked about my scores.

They check NCCPA to make sure I am real and certified and then do a background check to make sure I am not a pedophile or criminal.

THAT'S IT.

No one is privy to your actual scores without your express consent. And, it doesn't matter.

Ventana is right - no one knows how to interpret them anyway. If passing is X and you have X+1 - you passed.....

And it is not a reflection of your skills or ability to relate to patients or be a decent provider. It means you passed the basic core skills test. The rest is up to you.

Again, my high school valedictorian made a perfect SAT score some 35 years ago but was a dolt and socially stunted. He would tell people that they were too stupid for him to associate with....... He became some sort of chemical engineer, I think. The world is a safer place because he did not choose a "people" trade.

My very old 2 cents.......

I didn't see anything about this anywhere else in the forum, so I figured I'd throw it out there. At our last EOR one of our professors made an announcement that employers are looking at PANCE scores as a component of an application when hiring new grads. I'd never heard this before, and I was wondering if anyone has come across this anywhere. 

Employers care about the money you can make them, not how high you can get on a test (aside from possibly some residency programs).

I think your school just wants to make sure you pass so they can get that 100% pass rate. If they tell you to aim high, you are more likely to study much harder and will, therefore, pass.

My first job required that I submit scores because I was practicing initially under an interim license...back in the day pance was only offered once/yr in October so if you graduated in the summer you practiced for a few months before taking it.

Guest Paula

I've never heard of any employer wanting to know your score, just needing to verify you passed PANCE.

However, just today I got an email from our practice manager.  In it 8 practitioners were praised for their NQHI  ( or some such acronym) scores for reaching quality measures.  I was on the list and so pleased to know that my employer appreciates me so much that they gave me a promotion.  

Now , I just need the raise to go with the promotion.  In fact, two of us PAs were promoted.  It is the fastest bridge program for a PA to be in. 

Paula H., MD

I've never heard of any employer wanting to know your score, just needing to verify you passed PANCE.

However, just today I got an email from our practice manager.  In it 8 practitioners were praised for their NQHI  ( or some such acronym) scores for reaching quality measures.  I was on the list and so pleased to know that my employer appreciates me so much that they gave me a promotion.  

Now , I just need the raise to go with the promotion.  In fact, two of us PAs were promoted.  It is the fastest bridge program for a PA to be in. 

Paula H., MD

Congrats!

What is NQHI?  What more are you allowed to do now, if I may ask?

• 9 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to tell you all that I had an interview yesterday and the doctor asked me two unexpected questions: 

1. What number in your class rank were you?

2. What was your PANCE score? 

Needless to say I was very taken aback and just blurted out what I thought my score was (who actually remembers this?!?) and politely informed him that my PA program did not rank us. Next time I will be better prepared for this question. 

Are you in a location with a big glut of new grads every year? This strikes me as a totally odd question, but it's very possible I've led a sheltered life. I would probably respond with "are you asking if I passed my board exam? Yes I did, the first time, and my score was fine. I don't remember what it was." (And then I would not get the job, because of the look on my face while saying that.)

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to tell you all that I had an interview yesterday and the doctor asked me two unexpected questions:

1. What number in your class rank were you?

2. What was your PANCE score?

Needless to say I was very taken aback and just blurted out what I thought my score was (who actually remembers this?!?) and politely informed him that my PA program did not rank us. Next time I will be better prepared for this question.

Sounds like maybe this doc hasn't been around many PA's and wanted to gauge your knowledge . Perhaps he would have been better off with asking some sort of scenario question. The only question regarding the PANCE I was asked in 4 interviews was when I planned on taking it so they could gauge when I could start.

Are you in a location with a big glut of new grads every year? This strikes me as a totally odd question, but it's very possible I've led a sheltered life. I would probably respond with "are you asking if I passed my board exam? Yes I did, the first time, and my score was fine. I don't remember what it was." (And then I would not get the job, because of the look on my face while saying that.)

This is an area with 3 PA programs and it's in dermatology. They know that it's a very competitive field and put applicants through a lot of hoops. I had one dermatologist email me and ask for my headshot. I didn't even reply to that one...

• 8 months later...

Until reading this, I'd never heard of it being asked, but it's not completely far-fetched I suppose.  

If I was ever asked, I would probably say I had absolutely no idea, as I never checked and the numbers are worthless anyway.  On the day of your test, 80% could be failing in a certain section, 15% could be passing the next time.  I honestly don't remember if I checked the scores or not.  Maybe?

I had an MD interviewer - not native to the USA - ask me point blank how old I was.  Everyone laughed and I said your co-workers are going to talk to you about this later.  A headshot would get me taken right out of the applicant pool, ha ha 

Archived