Ortho vs, Derm Rotation

Hello,

I am a didactic student who is about to go on rotation is May and I am current going back and forth on what i want my elective rotation to be. I originally picked derm but I have been thinking about switching it to ortho. I have always been interested in ortho but I have also heard good things about derm. If you are in either specialty, could you give me a little insight about each specialty in regards to the setting you may work, hours, on call possibility, overall satisfaction, ect.? I wish I didn't have to just pick one.

Thanks in advance! 

You generally won't go wrong with either.

Getting to see all kinds of Derm is priceless.

Having a good ortho teach you a good set of exam skills - also priceless.

Has anyone else from your class rotated at these sites?

Ask around for reviews of others' experiences.

Go with the one that gets the most enthusiastic responses from prior students.

My program is relatively new (I'm in the 3rd cohort) so not a ton of previous students will have done either since they are both electives. I've heard good things about the ortho group that they have sent a few previous students to before but nothing directly from those students and I have not heard anything about the derm location. My main concern is if I were to find a possible job in either specialty, I wouldn't know what it would be like since I didn't rotate there.

Years ago, we got an off month during rotations - not sure why. 

I chose to do an extra elective during mine - was single then and gunning for things.

I did an ICU rotation - the first in my class to do it. It was awesome.

So, if there is ANY time anywhere - even 2 weeks - squeeze in the derm.

I would go for the ortho now since it has positive reviews.

Years ago, we got an off month during rotations - not sure why. 

I chose to do an extra elective during mine - was single then and gunning for things.

I did an ICU rotation - the first in my class to do it. It was awesome.

So, if there is ANY time anywhere - even 2 weeks - squeeze in the derm.

I would go for the ortho now since it has positive reviews.

I did something similar for one of my ER rotations. I was told I had to be there m-f for 8 hrs/day but could come in as often as I wanted. it was an away rotation and I didn't know anyone in rochester, NY so I did 6 12s/week for 5 weeks. they picked up on this and by the end of week 2 I was out of fast track and in main participating in the care of patients who were actually sick.....

Archived