Fluoroscopy Permit

Hi all-

Wondering if anyone has any experience obtaining fluoroscopy permit in California?

I am currently an IR PA in Illinois (can't independently use fluoro) and I'm relocating to California. Mixed information regarding obtaining fluoro permit out there. I was planning to do the AAPA online fluoro course until I was told I have to go through a California school. I was also told that there are currently no schools in California that accept PAs and that I must call around to ask if some place will accept me.

This sounds crazy. There has to be a way. Any input?

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hello did you ever get a response regarding getting your fluoro license ?  I am an ortho PA working in California and I have been trying to obtain my fluoro license for the past few years with no luck ( I can not find a program that will fulfill my classroom hours) - were you able to find a program to get your hours through ? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Got an email from CAPA -

My name is Brett Bergman, I am a member of the Professional Practice Committee for CAPA. I am responding to your request for clarification about the PA fluoroscopy laws here in California.

Unfortunately, the PA Board and Radiologic Health Branch are correct in their statements. Fluoroscopy permits do not have reciprocity between states, as each state independently develops their own criteria for eligibility of fluoroscopy permits.

In this case, California has a requirement that the PA must undergo all fluoroscopy training through a California-approved Radiologic Technologist program. Simply put, the training you received in Colorado, while completing both the 40 hours of didactic and 40 hours of clinical is similar to California requirements, it was not completed through a state-approved program, therefore is not recognized as meeting the requirements here in California. That requirement is firm, and there is not a way to waive that component.

Kaiser in Northern California does have a program that their PAs utilize, which is their Rad Tech program. This is what the intended process for California PAs was, to go through Rad Tech programs for the training. The Rad Tech program at LA City College could absolutely enroll you and train you to complete the requirements through their program. They are a state-approved program. The fluoroscopy training for PAs is identical to the training for Rad Techs. The challenge, we have found in California, is that Rad Tech programs are unwilling to enroll PAs, and won't assist in this training, despite that being the intention - they are not obligated to do so, and have flatly refused. If your physicians have connections with LA City College to push their program to allow you to enroll, that would be the path forward. You would then complete the 40 hours of didactic and 40 hours of clinical while enrolled in their program, thereby meeting the state requirement of completing the training through an approved-program.

Alternatively, you can create your own state-approved program. This is definitely a cumbersome process, and requires a lot of employer support. This is the process that I underwent when I obtained my fluoroscopy permit. I have since gone on to consult with a number of radiology groups to do the same for their PAs. You would complete an application with a number of items required (radiation protection programs, etc), pay some costs to the state, and then undergo a state inspection. I would be happy to walk you through what that process looks like, or meet with your physician leadership as well.

Attending a state Rad Tech program, or creating your own program are the only two paths forward for you at this time.

Best,
Brett

----- I also emailed the radiologic committee for the state seeing if they can pass some standards/laws to include access to fluoro for PAs in a similar manner as MDs.

----- Hope this helps anyone.