Even Worth Applying? 2016-2017 cycle

Hey guys, I'm trying to determine if I should apply to Pacific this coming cycle... Long story short I was planning on applying to a bunch of schools this cycle but realized that due to a really poor early collegiate performance (33 credits of 0.0), my cum GPA fell below the min for most schools. I am now planning on waiting to apply til 2017-2018 cycle but thought pacific would potentially be a one school option for this cycle. My current stats are:

cGPA: 2.73 (I know...)

sGPA: 3.1 (some of those 33 credits of WFs are science)

Last 45 GPA: 3.48

Last 70 GPA: 3.65

PreReq GPA: 3.75

HCE: approx 2800 hrs as ER Tech with EMT-B license

2000 hours as scheduler/clinic support at GI clinic (patient histories, medications, determining sedation needs etc)

Volunteer work - 200 ish hours with medical org

Shadowing : 100 hours with PA/MDs mostly PAs (trauma, ED, GI, ortho)

So in your honest opinion is it worth me applying this cycle? Waiting til next year gives me a lot of time (and credits) to fix my terrible GPA from my early mistakes but I would really like to get in and start my PA journey.

• Administrator

Based on what I've seen from interviewing candidates in 2013 and 2014, your GPA is quite low, and your HCE is average.  If you had a cGPA of 3.4, sGPA of 3.6, and last 45 of 3.8 or higher, you would be in the range of stats I've seen for students being interviewed.

Now that Pacific has successfully pulled up its PANCE pass rates, each class seems to get more competitive.  My class, 2012, were the ones who got a 98% PANCE pass rate. The next three classes (only 2013 and 2014 are listed on the website currently) each got 100% first time PANCE pass.  In 2014 (I was unable to participate in 2015), while reviewing the application packets of those selected to interview, I was struck by how a mere five years later, the incoming candidates are so much better that I doubt  I would have gotten an interview had I applied in 2014 with my 2010 package.

Having said that, I would not say "do not apply", but rather "Apply if you want a practice run at CASPA and the process", expecting that you will have a much better chance on a second go-round if you have both the experience at the process and the improved GPA.  It may take more than one year to get your GPA up into a competitive range.

When you compare favorably to the applicant stats listed here http://www.pacificu.edu/future-graduate-professional/colleges/college-health-professions/areas-study/physician-assistant-studies/program-admission then you should be a competitive applicant.

I agree. You don't even meet the minimum cGPA which is a 3.0 for most schools so it is highly unlikely that you will get an interview. Take the courses again in which you have scored an F and get an A (all of those 33 credits especially the science classes). I also suggest apply to a couple of schools to familiarize yourself with CASPA. Another benefit of applying is that when you apply next year to the same schools, it shows that you have worked to improve your application so there maybe a higher chance that they might interview you. Good Luck!

Thank you for the taking the time to reply, Rev. That sounds kind of like what I was expecting. However, after browsing Pacific's website, it does seem a little misleading. No where do they mention cumGPA as a factor in your application and they seem to make a point of emphasizing that they only look at your science GPA and the last 45 GPA. At first glance this seems to benefit the student with a path like mine who made mistakes eight years ago. all I can do is keep working on making myself a better applicant for next cycle. Thanks again rev.

Thanks for your input, PA hopeful. Like I said in my post I realize my GPA falls below the minimum for most schools which is why I determined I wasn't going to be applying this cycle. However after reviewing pacific requirements, it seemed that it might be one potentialSchool to apply to Soley due to the emphasis they seemed to place on the last 45 credits as well as the science GPA. No where on their website do they even mentioned CumGPA as an admissions factor. I figured I shouldn't apply with the hopes of getting in this cycle and I appreciate the insight. One question however, in regards to GPA calculation by caspa, what difference would read taking a class Be versus taking a different class for the same credit hours? For example let's say I got an F in college algebra… I can either a retake college algebra and get an A, or I can take a different class for three credits (same amount as college algebra) and get an A. Wouldn't those two scenarios give me the same GPA calculation through Caspa? I realize you want to show improvement in Coursera you failed I'm simply asking about calculating GPA. Sorry for any miss spellings I'm doing voice to text while in the car

Thank you for the taking the time to reply, Rev. That sounds kind of like what I was expecting. However, after browsing Pacific's website, it does seem a little misleading. No where do they mention cumGPA as a factor in your application and they seem to make a point of emphasizing that they only look at your science GPA and the last 45 GPA. At first glance this seems to benefit the student with a path like mine who made mistakes eight years ago. all I can do is keep working on making myself a better applicant for next cycle. Thanks again rev.

This is true, but even your last 45 credits and sGPA aren't all that competitive when you consider that the other applicants taking advantage of it have a last 45 of 3.8+ or much higher sGPA.  It may qualify you to have your app looked at at this particular program, but it doesn't necessarily make you competitive for an interview or acceptance.

This is true, but even your last 45 credits and sGPA aren't all that competitive when you consider that the other applicants taking advantage of it have a last 45 of 3.8+ or much higher sGPA.  It may qualify you to have your app looked at at this particular program, but it doesn't necessarily make you competitive for an interview or acceptance.

Fair enough. Suppose my last 45 were 3.7 and my science was 3.4 but my cum was still below 3.0... good HCE, good GRE, great LOR, etc... would that qualify me to be competitive at Pacific or is the cum GPA always going to be an issue? I'm going to have like 199 credits when I graduate so even straight As don't really make a dent in that cum GPA

• Administrator

Fair enough. Suppose my last 45 were 3.7 and my science was 3.4 but my cum was still below 3.0... good HCE, good GRE, great LOR, etc... would that qualify me to be competitive at Pacific or is the cum GPA always going to be an issue? I'm going to have like 199 credits when I graduate so even straight As don't really make a dent in that cum GPA

The last 45 of a 3.7 wouldn't be. Nor would the science of 3.4, really.  Whether or not good HCE, GRE, or LOR would outweigh that.. I simply do not know. I am not privy to that information, and suspect it completely changes with every single new CASPA pool of applicants.

My states when accepted in 2010 were last 45 of 3.97, science of 3.68 (BCP 3.76), and cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.30.

I recommend applying to Idaho State. Read my other posts about their application process. If you did well on your pre-req's and can beat a 310 GRE you have a great shot. 

Thanks for the tip! I'll check them out. Any word on how living in Pocatello, ID is? A little small from what I'm used to...

• 3 months later...

Hello, I pretty much had the same question.

cGPA: 3.2
sGPA: 3.3 
Last 45 GPA: 3.6
Last 70 GPA: 3.6
PreReq GPA: 3.6
HCE: approx 15,000 hrs, 6 year as an ER Tech and 13 years as an ALS EMT

Volunteer: kind of my weak spot only around 50 hrs but am currently add more every week.

Shadowing: another weak spot only 10 hrs, I have been having an extremely hard time finding a PA to shadow.

I really like this school and would definitely choose it as my top pick. 

I don't think that your numbers look bad. Your sGPA is lower than the average of those accepted, but I wouldn't let that keep you from applying.

Write a strong PS and have two strong letters of reference and you should be competitive.

I don't think that your numbers look bad. Your sGPA is lower than the average of those accepted, but I wouldn't let that keep you from applying.

Write a strong PS and have two strong letters of reference and you should be competitive.

Thanks for the reply. This is my second year applying and I feel the only thing holding me back besides shadowing time is my GPA which is the way it is because I had to work two jobs while going to school full time.

• Administrator

HCE: approx 15,000 hrs, 6 year as an ER Tech and 13 years as an ALS EMT

There's a big difference between 4,000 hours and 15,000 hours.  Your GPAs look plenty adequate for consideration, so I think your HCE is going to give you an advantage over others with similar stats but just 1-2k hours.  At that point, it's going to boil down to LORs, incidentals, character... I'd not be surprised if you got an interview if those were strong.  After that, it's up to you to convince your interviewers that they'd want you treating their loved ones.

Hello Everyone,

I am in the same boat as you are. I went to college at 18 years old, which is over ten years ago. I was not focused which had a negative impact on my grades. I have since put myself through school and my GPA was a 3.9 my junior year and a 3.85 my senior year. However, my cGPA is low because it pulls the grades from over 10 years ago. I am still applying because I am hopeful that they can see that aspect of life as the past. Also, I work as a certified medical assistant in the ER and have been practicing for 8 years. Therefore, my thought is just throw your name in the hat and see what happens. I was always told if you don't ask the answer is already a no so just ask and you maybe amazed at what happens. =) I wish everyone the very best this application cycle!

Paige

• 7 months later...

The last 45 of a 3.7 wouldn't be. Nor would the science of 3.4, really.  Whether or not good HCE, GRE, or LOR would outweigh that.. I simply do not know. I am not privy to that information, and suspect it completely changes with every single new CASPA pool of applicants.

My states when accepted in 2010 were last 45 of 3.97, science of 3.68 (BCP 3.76), and cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.30.

@Rev Ronin,

My last 45 is a 3.9 and my BCP is a 3.56, approx 6000 hours HCE as a pt aide/chiro assistant (website states that it has been accepted in the past and it was very hands on direct patient care)....would you suggest I apply?

My cgp 2.8 due to similar reasons as others.

I was told that the university does not review the cumulative.  Their website states "Pacific focuses on two main GPAs; the Science BCP GPA and the last 45 credits GPA. For both, the average is usually around a 3.60 to 3.80."  

Their class profile says :

CASPA Science BCP GPA 3.59 Last 45 Hour GPA 3.84 Average Patient Care Experience 4,100 hours

Any suggestions welcomed.  Thanks for reading. 

• Administrator

(shrug) "Focuses on" is different than "considers."  When I, as a community PA teamed with a faculty member for an interview, got a folder, I had all the CASPA calculated GPAs available, as well as the Last 45 on the Pacific-specific sheet from the supplemental application. I am not privy to the scoring system used to select candidates for interview, and during the interview process itself, the GPAs, all of them, are just small pieces of the overall candidate picture.  The interviews are focused on how the candidate presents himself or herself, answers questions about their goals, knowledge of what a PA really does... the same sort of thing every other PA program asks its applicants.

As to whether or not you should apply... I can't answer that for you.  Your numbers look good other than the low cGPA, and if you have a personal mission that matches Pacific's, want to work in a team environment where the students are incentivized to help each other rather than one-up, and prefer a systems approach to learning... go for it!  Don't apply where you think you'll succeed--you may be right and be miserable!  Apply where you can't NOT go.

(shrug) "Focuses on" is different than "considers."  When I, as a community PA teamed with a faculty member for an interview, got a folder, I had all the CASPA calculated GPAs available, as well as the Last 45 on the Pacific-specific sheet from the supplemental application. I am not privy to the scoring system used to select candidates for interview, and during the interview process itself, the GPAs, all of them, are just small pieces of the overall candidate picture.  The interviews are focused on how the candidate presents himself or herself, answers questions about their goals, knowledge of what a PA really does... the same sort of thing every other PA program asks its applicants.

As to whether or not you should apply... I can't answer that for you.  Your numbers look good other than the low cGPA, and if you have a personal mission that matches Pacific's, want to work in a team environment where the students are incentivized to help each other rather than one-up, and prefer a systems approach to learning... go for it!  Don't apply where you think you'll succeed--you may be right and be miserable!  Apply where you can't NOT go.

Thank you for your response, I appreciate it a lot.  As usual, your advice is sound and I'll definitely take it into account.

Archived