Recent grad- Family Practice

Hello,

I'm a "new grad" having graduates this last August. I had initially taken a uro job for 75k, working at least 50 hrs q wk. to make a long story short, it was a toxic environment and I resigned after the probationary period . Fast forward to today ... Offered a FP job for 80k, no benefits (health insurance , 401k, no CME reimbursement ). Benefits include 2 weeks vacation,

No weekends/call, and only four 10 hour shifts. I'm not a good negotiator either; hate it and I'm terrible at confrontation. Also, this is the first time this particular clinic is working with a mid-level so I'm not sure what to expect or even if my SP knows how the role of the PA will come to fruition.

I really need the job as the bills keep coming and I have seriously ill husband who has to take off work from time to time d/t health issues .

All that being said, I am starting to think k should have asked for more. The official offer hasn't been made, but I'm told SP simply wants to "check my last reference"

And an offer will be coming Monday.

He health insurance and no CME funds really

Do bother me. The 401k k's projected to start next year , so I can be patient.

So my questions:

- what more/ how can I ask to get get a little bit more. Ultimately , I am going to take the job bc I reaaaallly need it . And after the last toxic environment I was in, they could lay me in cheese and it would be an improvement.

- should I ask projected salary in 6 mos/ 1 year?

- has anyone ever been the "PA Guinea pig " and if so , how did that work out? I'm still not sure if it's a plus or a minus .

Also, let me add... I live in South FL where two PA schools are located and early everyone wants to live here so there's definitely saturation.

If anyone can provide any insight or advice I'd be most grateful !!!

Thanks !!

• Administrator

Do not be the PA new grad guinea pig in a group.  You'll hate life, and so might they.

I would walk away from such an offer.  You're a professional, not a burger-flipper.  You are being taken advantage of, probably entirely because you ARE female.  Don't put up with it.  GET good at negotiation--you don't have to be confrontational, confrontation is actually a terrible negotiating strategy.  Good negotiation is consensus-building, very much a "yin" thing, so that you will never have to give up any femininity to be a good negotiator.  Just because men may be more confrontational and take-it-or-leave-it, doesn't mean they are better negotiators... just faster ones.

If you already know you are going to take the job because you need it, and they know you are going to take the job because you need it, you have zero negotiating power.

Further, realize that the only reason you will NOT be offered health insurance is that they can tell you have a uterus.  Insurance costs the same for everyone, but if they enable you to bear offspring, they lose you for weeks to months at a time, and that doesn't help them any.  They can't offer you bonuses for NOT having babies, so what they will do is do everything they can to make sure you economically choose to defer that option to later.  Two weeks PTO? Pfagh.

If you must take it, I suggest you ask for two things:

1) All charting on the clock.

2) Overtime over 40 hours/week or 80/2 weeks.

If you can get either one or both of those, you will be financially much better off.

Oh, and leave Florida.  It's a cesspit for PAs.  Come out West, go pretty much anywhere else and you can get a better offer.  Yeah, yeah, you have family obligations that keep you from moving.  They know or suspect that, which is why you are getting such a lousy offer.

Sorry... I'm a bit short tempered.  I see rampant sexism in offers like this and it irks me to no end.

Thanks Rev! I needed a good , stern "talking to". I know one of my biggest faults is being "too nice"

and that really , really has to stop. I am definitely going to tackle those issues and see if I can ascertain a bit more in this deal. I hope I haven't already come off as too eager. This is such a learning process!!!

Thank you !!

Archived