ICD 10 stupidity of the day

• Administrator

So there's a code for a spacecraft accident injuring (not killing, mind you, INJURING) an occupant, something that I'm not sure has ever happened... (V95.4, in case you were wondering)

... but yet there's no ICD-10 code for an infection caused by dirty tattoo needles.  Guess what I saw in clinic last week?

What's your favorite ICD-10 stupidity?

V97.33XD Sucked into jet engine, subsequent encounter
You got sucked into a jet engine and lived, only to get sucked back in. That’s rough.

Somehow, I will thankfully NEVER see this in my career but came across it while searching for something else.

My absolute favorite which is sadly universally true would be the code for "problems with the in-laws"......

OK, you asked for it. I LOVE ICD10 - ridiculousness at its best!

1. V9027XA – Drowning and submersion due to falling or jumping from burning water skis. FRATERNITY MEMBER?

2. V9542XA – Forced landing of spacecraft injuring the occupant. MANY OF MY PATIENTS WOULD QUALIFY AS BEING FROM ELSEWHERE..............................

3. W5609XA – contact with dolphin. AND THIS IS A PROBLEM? THEY ARE AWESOME CREATURES!

4. W5922XS – Struck by turtle, sequela. Sequela indicates that the condition was caused by a previous injury or illness. THE TURTLE HAS IT OUT FOR YOU

5. Z621 – Parental overprotection. HOW MANY TIMES A DAY CAN I USE THIS ONE AND WHAT DOES IT PAY??

6. Z631 – Problems in relationship with in-laws. EVERY SINGLE DAY................................

7. V0009XS – Pedestrian on foot injured in collision with other pedestrian conveyance, sequela PROBABLY TEXTING WHILE WALKING

8. W2202XA – Walked into a lamppost, initial encounter. KANYE WEST gets his own code - such a narcissist.

9. R460 – Very low level of personal hygiene OH, WOW, THIS ONE DOES EXIST!

10. W5622XA – Struck by Orca, initial encounter. FOLLOWED BY THE CODE FOR DARWIN CANDIDATE

11. X52 – Prolonged stay in weightless environment. APPLIES TO ABOUT 200 PEOPLE TOTAL ON THE PLANET

12. W6162 – Struck by a duck, sequela - AGAIN, THE DUCK DOESN'T CARE FOR YOU

13. Z731 – Type A behavior pattern - THIS SHOULD BE THE STARTING DIGITS FOR EVERY MEDICAL LICENSE ISSUED

14. R461 – Bizarre personal appearance - DOES THIS APPLY IN AUSTIN, TX AND PORTLAND, OR OR SAN FRANCISCO?

15. W5649 – Other contact with shark - ATTORNEY?

V97.33XD Sucked into jet engine, subsequent encounter

You got sucked into a jet engine and lived, only to get sucked back in. That’s rough.

Somehow, I will thankfully NEVER see this in my career but came across it while searching for something else.

My absolute favorite which is sadly universally true would be the code for "problems with the in-laws"......

To be fair, I don't think that "subsequent encounter" implies a second occurrence, but more like a follow-up for the same event. I do agree, though, that ICD-10 is oddly and ridiculously specific when it comes to outlandish injuries, and seems to drop the ball on bread-and-butter diagnoses.

Didn't the "crochet hook stabbing" include other qualifiers, such as "stabbed by crochet hook from Grandma", "stabbed Grandma with crochet hook", "stabbed by crochet hook during prison uprising", stabbed by crochet hook during Thanksgiving"...

•   Y93.D1 Injured when knitting or crocheting — What? Knitting doesn’t get its own code?

Others I have come across are:

• R46.1            Bizarre personal appearance—Lady Gaga, perhaps?
  • W61.62XA     Struck by duck—But struck how?
  • Z63.1            Problems in relationship with in-laws—I guess this is a medical problem now, although this sounds like a psychological problem?
  • W22.2XD       Walked into lamppost, again—Don’t text and walk! How many times do I have to tell you! Geesh!
  • W55.41XA     Bitten by pig—This is the code for the first encounter only; there is a different code if it’s a second (or third) bite.
  • V97.33XD      Sucked into a jet engine—Would this person even be seeing a physician??
  • Y92.250        Injured in an opera house—I must warn my opera-loving friend of potential dangers … Danger Will Robinson!

Guest Paula

I couldn't find and ICD 10 code for "Unrealistic expectations of a patient to have their provider give them everything they want and right NOW!!!"

Instead I coded her as having a passive aggressive personality disorder. 

Archived